FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple partial span clips in P2 footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Dayton
Multiple partial span clips in P2 footage
on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:47:06 pm

I'm beginning the ingest of a bunch of P2 footage via log and transfer. The footage has been archived to an external hard drive, with all the file directories intact, as far as I know.

Quite often, several clips from a single card will be "Partial Span," with a length of 4:55 and file size of 4GB -- even though it appears that many of these clips make up one uninterrupted shot from the camera. I'm guessing this has to do with a file size limit while recording, but I thought L&T knew how to span these clips so the editor ends up with the same shots the cameraperson intended. Just to make things more interesting, sometimes L&T is able to recognize quite long clips, so it's like FCP figures out how to span sometimes and not others. Any advice?

Footage is 24PA, being ingested with advanced pulldown and extra frame removal.

Thanks,

Todd

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multiple partial span clips in P2 footage
on Oct 18, 2013 at 9:06:56 pm

Partial span means that the who starts on one P2 card, but carries over to another. You'll need to mount all the cards with footage in order to import them and connect the spanned media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Todd Dayton
on Oct 18, 2013 at 9:18:08 pm

That's what I initially thought, but I think something else is going on here. For example if I load all of a day's cards into L&T, I will find several "Partial Span" clips from a single card, then I'll have "Complete Span" clips that run from one card to the next and are imported correctly as a single clip. Looking at days where there may have only a been a single card recorded, I'm still getting multiple "Partial Span" clips In L&T from what should be uninterrupted clips.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:28:35 pm

Hmm. Then files might be missing. Always wise to have the camera masters archived on two drives, and offloaded with software that not only copies the footage to and external, but checks the original card against that copy to make sure all the files are there. shotput pro does this.

That doesn't help you now, of course. Just a future suggestion. But those files might actually be missing. Are they vital?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 19, 2013 at 11:57:18 am

You have to transfer the contents folder plus the last clip file of one card into one seperate folder, then open all the folders belonging together and voilĂ  the clips will come together.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Dayton
on Oct 21, 2013 at 5:44:17 pm

Shane, you may be right that I am missing contents from a few P2 cards or something. Hard for me to know as media was archived and I only have the hard drives to work from. If they're vital, I'll never know.... Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 21, 2013 at 6:15:14 pm

Could it be related to the FAT32 file size limit of 4GB?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:45:46 pm

Yes it is,
Todd is missing the last clip files

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Neal Klaeser
on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:47:06 am

I have also had this same issue. I am working directly from the P2 cards and dragged all the contents into the HD like I always do. Not sure what the issue is. All the clips coming into the log and transfer window are 4:55 but on the P2 card it appears as one clip. I never used this function before on my camera but there is a "repair clip" function? Just wondering if this would remedy file structure problems on the card?

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions
http://www.realvideopro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]