FORUMS: list search recent posts

trouble with Quicktime mov files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
trouble with Quicktime mov files
on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:27:36 pm

Hi everyone. I am working out of FCP 6.06. I need to make a 10 minute compilation of a bunch of my video projects for a scholarship application. I imported into the FCP project the quicktime mov files of the original films instead of the raw clip sequences. also, i have a few graphic Motion files to mark transitions between movie excerpts.

because i did not build all of these projects on this computer, to
track down original movie files and clips might be impossible or reconnecting all the media would probably take even longer--not to mention leave me with a very messy project.

so I am really hoping there is a way to solve the problem I am having, which is this:

When I cut the quicktime MOV files into excerpts on independent sequences, they look and even playback just fine. So I made a "rough cut" sequence and copy/pasted each little excerpt into the new sequence and strung them together. I rendered everything overnight. On the canvas, everything looks okay, but in the viewer, all of the files are much smaller in this new "rough cut" sequence then they are in their original sequence. And of course, there is the problem that rendering and then compressing into a new QT rough cut are both taking an enormous amount of time for my ten minute project.

my questions are:

* How do I maintain clip integrity from one sequence to another? Or how do I change the clip attributes so they have the same attributes and do not shrink/distort in the new sequence?
* should I be converting my mov files to something like Pro-Res? Is there anyway I can do that once they are already cut and in a sequence?

Thank you so much. I get very overwhelmed when unpredictable and strange technicalities occur on a deadline and I appreciate anyone's input!

Jenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: trouble with Quicktime mov files
on Oct 16, 2013 at 4:23:18 pm

The editing app that will do what you want isn't FCP...it's Adobe Premiere. It'll take nearly any format of QT or MXF or AVI or MP4 and work with them natively on the timeline.

FCP will not. Just because it is a QT file doesn't mean FCP works well with it. And the potential issues are random...loss of sync in the sequence, when you export, random black frames, sections of black video...etc. So yes, if you want to edit all those clips in FCP, you need to convert to media FCP works with: ProRes, HDV, XDCAM, DVCPRO HD. And all the same frame rate.

Now, if you add a clip to the sequence, and notice that it doesn't fill the screen, you double click on it and adjust the scale until it does.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
on Oct 16, 2013 at 4:38:34 pm

Thank you Shane! Please bear with me here because I am not super technical.

I only have FCP to work with today. So at what point should I convert the clips? If I have already cut mov files into a sequence, can I still convert them all within the sequence? The ideal, since I have already produced my rough cut sequence, would be if I can (in my fantasy dreams it works like this) select the whole clip and click on "convert to....."

I imagine it is not that easy. So...what am I converting it to, how do I do it, and can I do it out of a cut sequence?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:57:06 pm

Try this quick fix. Change the COMPRESSOR in the SEQUENCE SETTINGS to ProRes, and then render.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]