FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 ProRes Files shift color

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maeve Cavadini
FCP 7 ProRes Files shift color
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:26:23 pm

Hey everyone-
I'm having a problem with ProRes files in FCP 7.

I transcoded H.264 files shot on Canon 5D 23.98fps to apple prores 422.

When I compare ProRes to H.264 in QT there is no difference. In FCP 7, the ProRes color shifts dramatically. My sequence settings are same as source. Not sure what the problem is.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
-M

MFC

Return to posts index

Cristine Cardenas
Re: FCP 7 ProRes Files shift color
on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:53:10 pm

Hey there,

I'm having a similar problem so I sort of wanted to piggy back off this thread instead of posting a new one.

I've cut a sizzle reel with mixed media pulled from the web and some shot with a canon 5D/7D. The media has all been transcoded to apple pro res 422/23.98. It looks fine when we playback in FCP 7 and when we export a full res QT but as soon as I try to compress for web, some of the clips have gamma fluctuations. The problem isn't consistently on the same clip or same places but changes every time. We've tried exporting through compressor, compressing with mpeg streamclip, compressing with Quicktime 7 … and still have export issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

Computer specs:
FCP 7
Mac OSx 10.6.8
Memory- 8 GB RAM
Processor- 2 x 2.26 GHZ Quad

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 14, 2013 at 8:47:32 pm

The FCP 7 editing interface isn't designed to be color accurate. The Viewer, the Canvas...won't show you accurate color. They are there to show you what you are doing, that's it. For an accurate representation of what you see in FCP 7, you need an IO device that you can hook up to an HDTV...something like the Decklink Ultrastudio Mini MOnitor, or AJA T-Tap.

FCP-X...the latest version of FCP, IS designed to display the proper colors. Why wasn't FCP 7? Because it was designed with playing on TVs in mind...either over the air or from DVDs or tape. FCX knows that most of the video made will be viewed on computer displays, so it was designed accordingly.

And anytime you compress to another format, you'll lose some color information and the clip won't look exactly the same as the full res original. This is how compression works...information is lost to save space.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 14, 2013 at 9:05:32 pm

Gamma shifts are a well documented problem with Apple's first party software/codecs. It's been a while since I've run into the problem so I don't remember the various work arounds but if you Google "Final Cut Pro" and "gamma shift" you'll get lots of hits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]