FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to use the ipad to display the FCP7 timeline only, leaving the primary and secondary monitors for bins, viewer and canvas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Is there a way to use the ipad to display the FCP7 timeline only, leaving the primary and secondary monitors for bins, viewer and canvas?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:57:31 am

I'm trying to find a good way to make use of the ipad in my FCP7 workflow. I'm aware that there are multiple apps available that do something like this, many of them aiming to be virtual replicas of physical control surfaces, but I suspect I'm unlikely to find this much better than just the keyboard I use now.

Where I do think I can find some use for device, is as a 3rd monitor that simply has one purpose; displaying the timeline. I know it's possible to get apps that will have the ipad act as an additional monitor however it occurs to me that in such a case, there will still be a mouse cursor to contend with and that will mean that if I touch my ipad screen to scrub through the timeline, my mouse cursor will immediately jump to my ipad screen which will mean moving the cursor off this screen to return to whatever I was doing on my other screens. This wouldn't be too difficult but it would essentially eliminate much of the actual usefulness of this approach. What I would like, if possible, would be to have the timeline permanently displayed on ipad screen and be able to click around and scrub with it, whilst leaving my mouse wherever it originally was.

If that's not possible, I guess I'd still like to at least have the FCP7 timeline appear on my ipad screen while my left monitor displays multiple bins, plus viewer and canvas, and my right monitor displays a full screen desktop preview. Is that something I can achieve with a monitor extension app? Can I manipulate where the monitors are placed in relation to one another in mac os x just as if there were 3 monitors plugged in?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Is there a way to use the ipad to display the FCP7 timeline only, leaving the primary and secondary monitors for bins, viewer and canvas?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 2:33:30 pm

You can do much of what you want with the iOS app Air Display. You can move your timeline to the iPad and save your workspace that way. The iPad shows up as a third monitor in System Preferences/Displays. Your mouse cursor will always follow your touch, however. To do otherwise would require FCP being updated to allow some sort of independent touch interface which ain't gonna happen since FCP7 has been dead and buried for 2 years. The hooks into the app just aren't there for this kind of thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]