FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create a "recipe" split screen effect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Coffer
Create a "recipe" split screen effect
on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:13:26 pm

Good evening everyone

Apologies for the slightly incomprehensible title.

I create cookery videos, featuring my small children. I would like to know how to create an effect, whereby the ingredients of a recipe appear on a split screen, while I am still cooking. Maybe on a chalkboard, if not just simply as a list, with the half of the screen being slightly blurred out to differentiate it from where the action is happening.

I do hope this makes sense! Is there an easy way of doing it, but doing it well and professionally? I do know the basics of adding text etc... I am just looking for something a little more professional and slick.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Create a "recipe" split screen effect
on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:25:28 pm

This isn't hard at all, just create a new video track above the footage of the cooking, put your text or ingredient shots in that track, and use the wireframe tool or the motion tab to crop and position your "split" where you want it.

Think about using the "rule of thirds" when composing this setup. Divide your screen into an imaginary tic tac toe grid, and fill a 2/3 area of the screen with the cooking shots and one third with the other info. Play around with it. I encourage you to first doodle it out with paper and pencil, just rough sketches, then make a consistent arrangement when you find a setup you like.

For inspiration, look over the sample effects at motionvfx.com

Return to posts index

Nick Coffer
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:29:35 pm

Thank you Mark. That is really helpful. I have been playing with keyframes and motion now for an hour and am getting somewhere. A lot further than I got before, to say the least!

One of the effects I would like to recreate is the simple effect you see 40 seconds into this video:

I think I am not far off - I understand I need to bring in a video track from the right hand of the screen but I can't work out how to blur the right hand side of the split screen - so you can still "see" the screen underneath but it is in soft focus. My guess is it is in the effects tab but I cannot get it to work for myself.

Thanks again for your help

Nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:58:16 pm

That's dirt-simple: make one more duplicate track above, apply the gaussian blur filter to it, use the crop control to crop where it goes and to make it more sporty, apply some of the feathering in the crop control to smooth the edge a tad.

Have a great weekend, and cook something up with the family!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 13, 2013 at 3:13:55 am

Soon to be known as the ios7 effect. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]