FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro for client

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Cummins
Final Cut Pro for client
on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:33:27 am

Hi. Wondering in anyone can help. I recently shot a series of interviews for a client. However they want to edit it in house themselves. I did some basic color correction in fcp. What the best way now to send it to them? They are not using fcp so I just need to export it and stick it on a hard drive. Just need to know best settings to do this? Cheers.

Return to posts index

Jeff York
Re: Final Cut Pro for client
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:09:43 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's enough information here to give you an answer. You need to find out what your client is going to be using for an edit platform so you can deliver a file format friendly to that.

In hindsight, it might have been better for them to do the edit first and then do any color correction after. That way, you're not color correcting all the footage, just the footage they intend to use. Of course, that assumes they're willing to come back to you after they're done their edit.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:55:12 pm

Well, pick as lossless a codec as the client and drive space can manage. All the leading NLE's should be able to handle ProRes, and that choice keeps things compatible with your own system. How much footage are we talking about?

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:04:03 pm

Thanks Mark. Not sure they are using, I know it's not a dedicated editor, there just trying to save money. There is only about an hour of footage.

Do I just export and then choose prores from the drop down menu?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:30:06 pm

[Dennis Cummins] "Not sure they are using, I know it's not a dedicated editor, there just trying to save money. There is only about an hour of footage. "

Hmmmm... are they on Windows machines? Are they trying to get by with the built-in Windows video editor? Are they even comfortable with editing video?

Are they able to download software if necessary? This may sound like a dumb question, but some companies' firewalls don't permit it. And if they have only rudimentary knowledge, this all may Terra Incognita to them.

There is still a lot of missing information, which prevents people from giving a definitive answer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:53:18 pm

Pro Res 422 is an excellent format for this purpose - it can decoded on both Mac and Windows, just not encoded or written to on the Windows side when the output their final.

Or, transcode to DNX, it's free, and cross platform in every way so long as they download the free codec package from Avid.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:18:17 pm

Thanks David. How do I output this this from fcp? Export then?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 11, 2013 at 3:20:55 pm

transcode using Compressor if they are files, export from the timeline if you're already on a timeline.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2013 at 4:19:27 pm

Dennis, they sound shaky technically. Give them the footage cheerfully and with good wishes, but look at this as your opportunity to market yourself to them as the all-in-one solution, when they figure out the editing might be more work, with worse results, than they thought. Mention that you can clean-up and improve the color, exposure, and sweeten the audio, all for the same rate.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2013 at 4:28:05 pm

Amen to that one!

That's why professional builders love do-it-yourselfers: once the DIY-ers totally muck things up, they get called in to fix the mess. Wise and reputable builders charge an honest rate to undo the mess and re-do it properly, then show the customer what they would have charged it they had done it originally....

....and then they get the repeat business.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:35:22 pm

"We fix seven-dollar haircuts"

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:41:01 pm

Thanks Dave. I find fcp sometimes crashes when you go from fcp to compressor so I might just export as normal and then bring it in as normal!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 12, 2013 at 2:19:36 am

Give them the raw camera originals (tape or camera data). Let them figure out how to edit the footage.

I had a client that tried to do that to me. I got a frantic call from the client asking me how to get the P2 footage into their system.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]