FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual frame rates w/ dual sound syncing problems....deadline approaching

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dimitri Ellerington
Dual frame rates w/ dual sound syncing problems....deadline approaching
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:52:51 pm

Hi Gurus,

I'm trying to edit a dual sound, multi cam sequence in FCP7 (10.8.1). Problem is a third of the footage is 23.98 while the bulk is 25fps. I conformed the 24P to 25 with QT Edit (lost cinema tools in an update). Pluraleyes has successfully synced the 25p stuff, but won't sync the stuff thats been conformed. Figuring thats because the footage and guide track has been stretched 104.08% and pluraleyes cant match the waveforms? Am I on the right track here with this? I've wasted a day trying to sort this and am running out of time. Any help or advice you have on cutting together with the 2 frame rates and dual sound would be great (apart from "don't do it").

Dimitri

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Dual frame rates w/ dual sound syncing problems....deadline approaching
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:55:06 pm

[Dimitri Ellerington] "Pluraleyes has successfully synced the 25p stuff, but won't sync the stuff thats been conformed"

Yup...because you basically pulled it like a rubber band to make it match the other frame rate. You changed it's speed.

[Dimitri Ellerington] "Figuring thats because the footage and guide track has been stretched 104.08% and pluraleyes cant match the waveforms?"

Exactly.

[Dimitri Ellerington] "Am I on the right track here with this?"

YUP!

[Dimitri Ellerington] " Any help or advice you have on cutting together with the 2 frame rates and dual sound would be great (apart from "don't do it")."

You need to CONVERT the frame rate, not CONFORM. Use Compressor to convert 23.98 to 25...so you keep the same duration. Will it be smooth? Sorta, but not really. It won't be AS SMOOTH as if you shot everything 25fps....but it'll work. Make sure you set the FRAME CONTROLS in the Inspector to BEST on all levels.

The better way would be to use a Terranex or Alchemist to convert the footage when you ingest, or tape to tape. If this is tapeless...oy...then Compressor is your better option.

BEST thing? Not to shoot two different frame rates when you expect to multicam the footage. That is one of those "let's just do this and fix it in post" instances that people just think is some easy fix. It isn't. Better production planning would have been in order here.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dimitri Ellerington
Re: Dual frame rates w/ dual sound syncing problems....deadline approaching
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:16:11 pm

I hear you and thanks for the advice. Actually what happened was one operator shot 24p by mistake for half the shoot, then switched to 25P.

Remember a story about a producer who's was in an edit with a tech problem, she turned to editor and said it was cool as they could fix it in post!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]