FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon xl1s & final cut pro 7.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary graham
canon xl1s & final cut pro 7.0.3
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:54:48 pm

can someone please help

im trying to log and capture video from my canon xl1s mini dv into final cut pro 7.0.3

i have the firewire800 - 9pin male to 4 pin male connected to the canon & my imac

yet FCP wont recognise the camera and imovie wont or quicktime ?

when i check apple website for compatability with canon xl1s it says its a firewire camera compatible with FCP
(Canon XL1S PAL Easy Setup:DV-PAL FireWire Basic)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4887

is there anything im doing wrong or need to download etc for FCP to recognise the camera.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: canon xl1s & final cut pro 7.0.3
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:20:22 pm

Have you tried trashing your FCP Preferences? There's a free and highly-recommended app for doing it from Digital Rebellion. Just google it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:09:27 pm

thanks trying that shortly the firewire 800 cable im using is new from maplin store 2 days ago.

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:14:43 pm

apple list of supported cameras including canon xl1s

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4887

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:24:06 pm

the system profiler isn't showing the camera via firewire. see image below

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7263/nq98.jpg

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:04:09 pm

downloaded that app and trashed preferences with the app.

final cut pro wont recognise the camera imovie wont & quicktime trying new recording only recognises built in isight to my imac.

i cant get any programme to recognise the camera canon xl1s which is in VCR mode playing the recording through the camera yet no programme/software can find the camera to import the media.

the Nikkai firewire 800 (IEEE1394b) cable which is 9pin male to 4 pin male was only purchased from maplin store a few days ago by myself.

is it possible the cable is faulty or is the problem with the software.

ps i tried my camera on a friends imac same problem using same firewire cable and also tried a sony hdv camera & still FCP imovie quicktime etc wouldn't recognise any of the cameras.

so far i have tried - FCP7 - FCPX10 - final cut express - imovie - quicktime none have recognised the camera.

i can connect my camera using (elgato video capture) software which is via Red white audio cables & yellow video cable but the quality is terrible,it makes the video into a 700mb mp4 straight from original tape recording.

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30:21 pm

I remember FCP being super picky when it came to talking to Canon cameras via firewire.

Do what Dave said about your prefs, and also look at the firewire side of it:

* Make sure your cable is properly functioning - they can be fragile
* Make sure you are using a separate FW bus for the capture - no other FW devices (including drives) should be on the same bus.
* Have your camera connected and in VTR mode before you launch FCP. I believe the XL1s displays a "DV IN" icon in the viewfinder when it's communicating through the FW port.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:08:00 pm

when im connected via firewire 800 playing in vcr mode i dont see the info you mentioned above ( I believe the XL1s displays a "DV IN" icon in the viewfinder when it's communicating through the FW port.)

i'm stumped regarding is it a software problem or a faulty firewire cable 3 days old.

Return to posts index

gary graham
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:12:07 pm

i'm also connected to mains supply while playing vcr through firewire i had also seen that suggested to connect camera to mains instead of battery power.

just putting as much info as possible on as i can to eliminate what i've already tried.

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:15:15 pm

It's quite possible that you've got a bad firewire cable. They are pretty fragile, and the four-pin variety is pretty rare at this point.

Since you've tested a variety of applications and devices, the common thread is the cable. Try exchanging it.

Also, are there any other devices on your firewire bus? Take a look at About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > Firewire. The idea is that the camera should be the only device on the firewire bus.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]