FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you get JPEG2000 Video out of Compressor 3.5? If not, where?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Garman
Can you get JPEG2000 Video out of Compressor 3.5? If not, where?
on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:23:57 pm

I saw someone say that you could make a special app in Compressor 3.5 to output JPEG2000 video, but I've looked there and I don't see that codec listed? Is it available in Quicktime? If not, what application, besides Squeeze-it loses audio sync on anything over a few minutes-which makes it pretty useless.

A client wants to use JPEG2000 as an archiving format for a bunch of Betasp tapes--all around thirty minutes in length. We were doing ProRes 422 HQ but now someone has told him JPEG2000 is "the standard" for archiving so he wants to switch to that. Go figure!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can you get JPEG2000 Video out of Compressor 3.5? If not, where?
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:41:08 pm

What version of QT Pro are you using?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:17:44 pm

Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 (1710)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:51:05 pm

You probably have to enable the legacy codecs. It's in the preferences, and there are preferences in a couple of places in QT Pro. You'll find it.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Oct 7, 2013 at 7:08:44 pm

Dave, do you know if this is an interlaced or progressive format? I'
ve tried it in Sorenson Squeeze but it won't keep the audio in sync so that's worthless. Compressor does it but FCP says the final product is lower field and the client wants progressive. Even setting Compressor to progressive doesn't seem to get it done, I'm guessing the codec just ignores what Compressor is wanting to do.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:19:47 pm

The JPEG 2000 codec won't have any bearing on this. Unless the Beta SP tapes were shot with a progressive-scan camera -- and I doubt that -- the video is interlaced.

Actually, Beta SP video would always be interlaced: even if it was shot on a progressive-scan camera, it would be recorded as two fields. You would need to use Compressor to turn it into progressive frames. But your client should know that by doing so, the motion probably won't look as smooth. Interlaced video's motion is a lot smoother than progressive video at the same frame rate.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:33:11 pm

You're right! The betaSP is all interlaced. Client wants progressive and I've been doing ProRes 422 transfers for them that they loved until some "expert" told them that the standard for all archiving is JPEG2000. I think he really meant for stills and not video. I've tried compressor and Squeeze Pro 9 with the same results from both- only interlaced output-no matter how hard I tried to force progressive-and audio out of sync in every single case on Mac, Windows, or whatever I have tried. I think they need to give up on this legacy format, that is now 15 years old, and stick with ProRes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:48:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with JPEG 2000; it's a bona-fide video codec and it even supports alpha channels. However, I don't know if it's a 10-bit codec like ProRes.

But if the client wants JPEG 2000, do it; you might find yourself getting to charge again for transfers to ProRes.

I can't explain the non-sync audio. But the frame controls in compressor -- you have to make a custom preset -- can indeed make the footage progressive.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:36:11 pm

[Steve Garman] "some "expert" told them that the standard for all archiving is JPEG2000"
There is not such a thing like an standard for archiving.

[Steve Garman] "I've tried compressor and Squeeze Pro 9 with the same results from both- only interlaced output-no matter how hard I tried to force progressive"
There is nothing to force.
You have to de-interlace.

[Dave LaRonde] "..JPEG 2000; it's a bona-fide video codec and it even supports alpha channels. However, I don't know if it's a 10-bit codec like ProRes."
No the one you get from QT/FC/Compressor.
JPEG2000, as H264, is a highly scalable codec, but in QT you get just a very basic version where you can barely tweak a "quality" slider.
I don't know the options in " Sorenson Squeeze", but a professional JPEG200 compressor gives the option you can find on this page:
http://www.comprimato.com/en/specification-gpu-jpeg2000

So, JPEG200 will be great if you use the correct application o compress it.
With QT, I guess you get a "basic profile" (?) JPEG2000. I can imagine that with the slider set at top quality, you will put out a lossless 8b file. If is like that, prores is a better option for archiving Betacam stuff. Even ProresLT.

rafael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 10, 2013 at 3:40:37 am

Not sure if it will work for you to switch NLE's, but the Avid 6.5 and up have J2K as a standard codec option .

Of course, Avid does not create Quicktime Media for editing, but rather wraps everything as MXF. But you can capture or import as J2K and export Quicktime same-as-source.

This might become an overly complex solution, but it might be worth exploring.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]