FORUMS: list search recent posts

A new old computer for editing final cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brodie
A new old computer for editing final cut
on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:44:30 pm

Hi folks,

I'm about to upgrade my five year old Mac Pro Quad core 3.0 I use for video production editing. Its been a solid machine but I'm finding I'm getting bogged down in rendering graphics and compressing Mpeg 4s. I've got two options a 2.4 12 core
(August 2012) or a 2.93 8 core (2009 vintage). The price difference is about $500. Do you think the 12 core is the best choice? I'm assuming I'll also get all the needed RAM and a new Samsung SSD 840 pro to jolt my productivity.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.

All the Best,

Jim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A new old computer for editing final cut
on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:02:05 pm

My aging work machine is an Apple mac pro "octo core": It uses two, 3GHZ quad-core Intel Xeons. It was supersonic when all I did was SD resolution. It does okay with HD, within limits today, but HD output renders are long on the NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 GPU, running 1536 MB of V-RAM.

At home, I run the last version of the iMac that still had a built-inn optical media slot, just before the current model. It has thunderbolt, which I will use when I save up enough for a t-bolt RAID. That's waiting for a client that would make the Purchase worthwhile. This is the machine I suggest to people on a budget who still want to rock FCP-7 "old-school". It should also work fine for FCPX and Premiere when you decide to make the jump.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]