FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remote Cutting, Editing in a foreign language

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Davidson
Remote Cutting, Editing in a foreign language
on Oct 3, 2013 at 7:46:11 pm

Hello group

I have a general query about editors who've had experiences cutting features in a foreign language. What solutions did you arrive upon? The feature will be shot on Alexa & I'll ideally be on location with the film. But I may have to stay stateside due to other scheduling issues. So there are two areas of concern 1) how to edit in a foreign tongue, and 2) how to cut with a remote solution.

I thought for the language differential, the best approach would be to have all dailies translated & VO recorded with the native audio the primary channels, then the translation on channel 3&4. This seems to be the most natural solution for cutting quickly & instinctively. Subtitling might be cumbersome and requires either 1) a burn in of the subtitle (extra render step), or 2) an XML/2nd layer with subtitles. Obviously, selecting an editor who edits in the native language is an advantage for many reasons.

Seems like there are a lot of "cloud solutions," like Kollaborate, but with the potential for production to either be too remote, or have a slower connection to push files and do any interactive collaboration, the cloud approach seems ripe for potential difficulty.

I'd be interested in hearing experiences from editors who've tried this kind of thing.

Thanks

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]