FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying Audio Sequence to solve Sync Problems FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mueller
Copying Audio Sequence to solve Sync Problems FCP7
on Oct 2, 2013 at 8:21:51 pm

Hi All:

I have a long project (2 hrs), shot on HDV 24P and brought directly into ProRes 4:2:2. I graded it in Color and sent it back to FCP and the audio is out of sync. This is a known problem with Faux 23.98 material going to Color and back, not sure if it is because of the pulldown or an xml issue but I have experienced it before. Last time I found a way to copy the audio from the original sequence and paste it into the from Color Sequence and get it in sync, but this time I can't make that work. The new audio is still out of sync.

I am following the instructions for copying clips from one sequence to another using Copy-Paste commands (I lock out the video tracks, select ALL the audio including transitions, Copy, go to the "from Color sequence", line the playhead up at the very beginning and Paste). It acts like an insert and moves the original material back but is still out of sync. I have already mixed the audio and would like to keep the attributes, but I am willing to remix. What I need is to have the audio in sync.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Copying Audio Sequence to solve Sync Problems FCP7
on Oct 2, 2013 at 11:38:48 pm

Quick and dirty fix. Mix the audio to a stereo file from the original. Drop mix into new graded sequence. Change speed to 100.1%

If the issue is the difference between true 24 and 23.98 then the sync adjustment is .1% which has no consequences for pitch.

Alternative approach is to change sequence settings from Color to 24 if it has come back as 23.98 when the original FCP send to was 24. Just to be clear, your HDV camera shoots true 24p not 29.97 with pull down?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:04:57 am

Thanks do much for the response.

Unfortunately my camera shoots 29.97 with pull down (Canon XLH1) which I think is the root of the problem. I imported directly from the camera (HDV) to ProRes 4:2:2 and my initial sequence was 23.98, my Color Frame Rate setting was 23.98 and the Sequence Setting for my new sequence back from Color is 23.98...I have double checked them all. The sync is fine in the original sequence, but I've read that this is a common problem with pull down material round tripping to Color. I have seen it once before, but managed somehow to replace the audio.

How do I make a stereo file out of my mix in Sequence 1?

Thanks.

Jeff Mueller
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 3, 2013 at 11:50:16 pm

File>Export>Audio to aif. Then in the config you can chose grouped tracks or stereo mix.

Another approach is to send to Sound Track pro and do a mix there but if you have a mix setup already then the export option is simple.

Finally the Automatic Duck export/ import software is now free and so you could try exporting an AAF and reimporting then pasting into your new sequence. It might clear the frame rate flagging that could be the issue. You didn't say what the sync issue was - clips too long or short and the amount of sync drift so it is hard to guess if it is a 24 - 23.98 issue or 29.97 to 23.98 problem.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:07:10 am

Not so good update: so I exported the audio as a Quicktime movie through FCP (I think this is what Michael meant by making a stereo file). I imported the file back into the project and did an insert edit.

All of the In and out Timecodes are identical (on the original pre-color sequence, on the "from Color" sequence and on the new audio file), but it's still out of sync. At about 25 seconds in it was 11 frames off, so I slid the video forward and the beginning looked good, but by 50 minutes in it's still 2 seconds off). The sequences are all at 23.98 FPS, the audio file was at 100% speed. I then changed the speed of the audio to 100.1% (I did this in the timeline by locking out the video, selecting the audio pair and choosing change speed, is this the right way?). It's still off by 2 seconds 50 minutes in.

Anyone have an idea?

Jeff Mueller
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:14:49 am

Sounds like the error is around the .1% range so it is a 24 - 23.98 issue. It also sounds like the speed up of audio didn’t work because the video was locked.

If you try it with just the audio aif as explained in my last post it should work. If you have software like Audacity you can speed the audio up by .1% and not have a vari speed in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:15:49 am

Compressor will also do a .1% speed up and make a new file

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:35:23 am

Thanks. Our earlier posts crossed, I have now made the aif file. 100% speed didn't work nor changing speed in Timeline, but I'll find a different way to do it and try that.

Jeff Mueller
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]