FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing .adf/.mxf into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Morabe
Importing .adf/.mxf into FCP7
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:35:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of an issue. A client sent us raw footage in the format attached. I could not get Raylight to make it work and using Calibrated, it can read the footage/audio, but I have to manually import each piece every time which is becoming WAY too tedious and I feel like I'm missing parts of the video. Could someone please look and see if I have a option of Logging this footage in easier and maybe completed spans?

FCP 7 Editor, Gaffer, Grip, Camera man...Swiss Army Knife!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing .adf/.mxf into FCP7
on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:52:49 pm

What camera does that footage come from? I've never seen .adf files before. I know P2 shoots MXF...and that isn't a P2 card. So does the C300 and XF305...and I haven't seen those in either of those camera formats either.

When you use Calibrated to bring those in, what codec does FCP report it being?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:18:01 pm

This is what I get for Properties. I just can't imagine having to sync these up one by one =/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:40:41 pm

OK...DVCPRO HD, so that's P2 footage. But it's completely outside of the P2 card structure. Plus I have no idea what those .adf files are. Was these recorded on some sort of external recorder?

If this is not in the P2 card structure (CONTENTS folder with 6 sub folders, MXF files within the VIDEO and AUDIO folders), then you cannot log and transfer this into FCP. You are stuck using Calibrated...which is not really STUCK, as it is a tool that allows you to view and import MXF files. Without it, you'd be hosed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:01:03 pm

We decided we're going to have to bring the footage to a Avid DS editor to pull these into QT's. Just too messed up for us since we're on FCP.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:31:42 pm

PERFECT solution.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Samuel Enblom
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:51:24 am

I haven't worked in avid since Avid media composer 3.5, is avid actually better than fcp 7 for handling broken folder-structures now days?

I remember going to FCP when the photographer failed importing correctly.

Please let us know how your solution worked out!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2013 at 2:53:25 pm

[Samuel Enblom] "is avid actually better than fcp 7 for handling broken folder-structures now days?"

When it comes to MXF like this, yes. Because that's the native Avid format. And MC 7 is better as well, you might not need the full structure on several formats, as it reads the actual media file. But some formats like AVCHD...are messy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:24:55 pm

Well EVEN better solution. I later found out that they sent another drive with all the P2 Contents folders. All I had to do was log/transfer. I really would have loved to see Avid work its' magic though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]