FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to code for "Play" on opening touch screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Potter
How to code for "Play" on opening touch screen
on Sep 30, 2013 at 5:26:57 pm

I recently licensed a 5 min video to a client for a lobby display on a touch screen monitor.

The clients wants the video to roll when the opening graphic (with 'Play' icon) is touched,
and then returns to opening graphic when finished.

I have created the opening graphic, but have NO IDEA how to get the opening play button to function.

I'm an old-fashioned 'images and audio' video editor. As I understand it,
I need to convert to a windows .wmv file.

Any suggestions or info pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

(I'm running FCP 4.5)

Thank you,
-ap

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to code for "Play" on opening touch screen
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:30:40 pm

I know how to do this in Apple DVD Studio Pro.

Open the application, then navigate to the pane that shows a graphic representation of the DVD's structure. By default, that window will show two picture icons or "picons", with a line connecting them. One picon is the tracks of your video and audio content. The other is the menu.

Use the "Import Assets" dialog from the list of commands at the top of the screen to get your content. You import the pre-rendered atand-alone MOV file from your Final Cut Pro scratch drive. A mini timeline appears under the DVDSP graphic interface window. Drag those tracks onto the picon in the gray box above. Or, you can drag that file manually from your file browser and drop it on the picon. Click once on the picon to highlight it, look over to the right at the options in the inspector window. You will need to change the "end jump" button there to read Menu> Play> Tracks and stories> track1 > (whatever the name of the MOV file is).

That end jump command tells the DVD player to jump back to whatever track or menu you connect it to. You could also connect it back to itself, so that you get an infinite looping playback after pressing play only once.

You can even delete the menu picon altogether and click in the gray area near your program picon and change the "first play" button to the same track. Then, as soon as the DVD player is turned on or loaded, the program auto-starts, and loops until manually stopped.

But you want a PLAY button to start this on a menu screen. So leave the menu button picon there, but double-click it to get it to fill the screen. You have a selectin of pr-made buttons in a menu over to your right, drag and drop one onto the gray screen, and type the words you want, or use the existing text as-is. You need to connect this button to the track-1 picon, and you'll do that again by looking for the action menu and changing it to connect to tacks and stories>track 1.

Load a blank DVD-R disk into your computer burner drive.

Hit the "simulate" button, and see if it all works like it should. If it does, click the "burn" button and get a snack while it does the work...

In FCP7, there's a "share" button that does all this for you more or less automatically.

The DVD method is okay for a short-term solution. For anything that is meant to run unattended for a long time, you want to put the program onto a drive and have a computer run it. These are typically little boxes with a drive that plays MPEG2 files (you can make those in compressor). How the units are programmed to function with a touch screen is different for each system. One of these I know of is called DOREMI, but there are others.

You might want to ask int he live and stage forum what stand-alone "digital signage player" they suggest for your needs.

The COW also has a digital signage forum now, ask there as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]