FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jittery footage in export using 720p60 at 23.98fps in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lunday
Jittery footage in export using 720p60 at 23.98fps in FCP
on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:32:54 am

So I'm outputing a feature film length timeline from FCP 6 to send to studio for post work. The problem I'm having is that some of the movie gets jittery frame issues...not sure if they are dropped frames or what is going on...it was shot on a panasonic HVX200 at 720p60 at a frame rate of 23.98. And so my sequence settings match this (the compressor is set at 720p60 with the editing timebase at 23.98). So I use export to quicktime conversion and my settings are at 'current' with 'key frames' at 24fps...my compression type is H.264 and 'Data Rate' is automatic...So 'current' would be 24fps since that's what my sequence is?? I just don't know why I would have these little occasional jittery moments in my footage? Could it be that my quicktime player just can't handle the file? the size of it? I actually did change the frame rate to 60fps with 'key frames' to automatic and the jitter issues seemed to be gone while still retaining the filmic 24fps look...which is what I want. It seems however that it would be best to try and get the output to match whatever settings the sequence is..which would be the 'current' frame rate settings...Has anyone else had these same issues?? Am I maybe doing something else wrong? Or should I just go with the 60fps?

Thanks!
David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Jittery footage in export using 720p60 at 23.98fps in FCP
on Sep 27, 2013 at 9:53:06 pm

If you have the option to leave it at 59.94, do so. I doubt you removed the 3:2 pulldown, which is manifested as extra frames in your footage. You doubtlessly made cuts which threw off the 3 frames - 2 frames - 3 frames - 2 frames cadence, which is causing you fits as you try to go to 23.976.

For next time, you need to know this: your camera shoots at something called 24PN. This is NOT 23.976 frames spread across 59.94 frames, which is what you did for your current project. This is 23.976 actual frames recorded every second.

Open up the camera manual and learn about it: you'll be happier. You'll also be gratified to know that by shooting 720 24PN, you can get 2.5 times more video on every P2 card than shooting at crummy ol' 24p. You shoot far fewer frames per second, which means far more seconds you can shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Lunday
on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:59:58 pm

Great, thanks for the info Dave! I think I understand that pretty well...although it was actually the DP's camera so...are you saying then to change the fps to 59.94 in the QuickTime conversion window? Instead of 60 like I did? I actually exported the entire film last night at 60 and it looks pretty darn smooth..with the 24fps look still there of course...I put it at 60 obviously to match the compression of 720p60

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2013 at 12:38:46 am

Go to the FCP broswer. Highlight a clip. Scroll to the frame rate column. Does it say 60 or 59.94? If you shot at 59.94, but edited at 60, it is indeed problematic. One does not mix frame rates in FCP.

This frame rate stuff is something any marginally-competent DP would be able to recite in his/her sleep.... and it should have been established and clarified long before editing evan began.

But hey, if you're happy, I am too.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

David Lunday
on Sep 28, 2013 at 2:57:23 am

Dave, in FCP, there actually isn't a frame rate column but a Vid Rate column with the Compressor column right next to it. And as I said in my first post, the Vid Rate is in fact 23.98fps with the compressor being DVCPRO HD 720p60...HOWEVER, there are some clips that the camera man had the Vid Rate at 59.94fps...but the VAST majority of the shots were done at 23.98fps...but maybe it's just these few clips at 59.94 on my timeline that is making the jittery, frame drop stuff happen every once in a while...because I've noticed it's not at the exact same shots everytime...it's a kind of general jittery stuff every once in a while...maybe every minute or two.

My biggest issue for now anyway, is that I REALLY have to get this reference video of the finished film off to the studio so they can do the sound FX and final mix...so I need to get something to them NOW...and I think I can still send them a less than perfect video (that still has some of the jitter stuff happening) as the time code in relation to the video will still be synced properly?? Isn't this correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:21:36 am

You're not going to like this, I'm afraid....

Make a new sequence. Drag one of your HVX clips into it. If FCP asks to change the sequence to the clip's settings, say yes. Add audio tracks to match the old sequence, and delete the clip; it has done its duty.

In the old sequence, copy EVERYTHITNG. Paste it into the new sequence. Fix any gaps that you see.

You should be good to send it off. Make in the frame rate of the new sequence.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]