FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Edit With Mixed Footage: Best Sequence Settings? Convert Footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Martino
FCP Edit With Mixed Footage: Best Sequence Settings? Convert Footage?
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:27:41 pm

Quick question here.

I have a documentary sequence I am making where in some shots there are going to be clips used that have different video settings than the footage I shot myself on my Sony FS100.

I have my sequence as 1080p, Square pixels, Pro Ress 422, No field dominance as it suites my camera footage.

I am wondering, does it make sense to convert all of my other footage from other sources to these settings before putting them into the sequence? Or should I put them in with whatever they are at and just render them as is?
The main differences in the other footage is compressor type and field dominance.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Edit With Mixed Footage: Best Sequence Settings? Convert Footage?
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:33:45 pm

What other settings? If they are other FCP codecs like DVCPRO HD and XDCAM or HDV, then mixing all on a ProRes sequence is fine. If H.264, MP4...yes, convert. If SD, like DV...yes, convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Martino
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:39:23 pm

OK sounds great, thanks for the response. There is a mix of diff compressors. Since I have never done this workflow before, how would you recommend converting the footage?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:40:27 pm

Compressor has ProRes presets, so that will keep things simple.

Mixing frame rates too? That'll be trickier.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Lunday
on Sep 28, 2013 at 3:27:00 am

OK guys, sorry to jump on your thread here but I am having the exact same issue here!...if this is not proper Forum etiquette just let me know...is my first time here. BUT, I have a feature film here and I'm having issues with my output that I'm supposed to be sending to a studio for finishing SFX, final mix etc. I noticed Shane had said that you can have shots with different codecs on the same timeline as long as they are FCP compatible, which all of these seem to be. MOST of the footage is DVCPRO HD 720p60 with a Vid Rate of 23.98fps. But then (and I think this is my issue with some jitter problems on my exported video) there are also some shots that were also DVCPRO HD 720p60 but at 59.94. But then our B camera has a codec of HDV 1080p24 at 23.98fps. So I will have to convert these then for my final output correct? If so, what should I convert everything to?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]