FORUMS: list search recent posts

size of .mxf files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Byron Caplan
size of .mxf files
on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:36:25 pm

i recently bought a new canon xf300 camera and was shooting at 1080 x 1920 @ 30fps 60i (btw- didn't that used to be called 30i?) and 50Mbps. i shot several hours of interviews onto the cf card in the camera. i then did a drag & transfer into FCP (my version is still 6) with no problems...

...but this is the rub and the question...

the cf card had 86.83 gigs worth of video on them, but when i imported it into FCP it ballooned up to 243.31 gigs. WOW! that's 3x the original size. is this normal?

are canon's .MXF HD 50Mbps files compressed? i didn't know or anticipate this.

any thoughts about what's going on here? just wanna know.

thanx,
-byron

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: size of .mxf files
on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:09:28 pm

[Byron Caplan] "was shooting at 1080 x 1920 @ 30fps 60i (btw- didn't that used to be called 30i?)"

Yup. But then some engineers thought that it'd be a good idea to list the FIELDS per second when dealing with interlaced formats. No one understands why they did this, and it only leads to confusion.

[Byron Caplan] "the cf card had 86.83 gigs worth of video on them, but when i imported it into FCP it ballooned up to 243.31 gigs. WOW! that's 3x the original size. is this normal?"

Yup. The camera shoots XDCAM, and that has a much lower data rate than ProRes 422. I wonder if you can use the Canon XF Transfer utility to re-wrap these as QT...then you'll have QT XDCAM, much lighter than ProRes.

[Byron Caplan] "are canon's .MXF HD 50Mbps files compressed?"

They are...that's why they are smaller. You are converting them to a less compressed format...one that has larger file sizes.

If you want to edit this natively, without converting, then you'll need to use Avid media Composer or Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Byron Caplan
on Sep 25, 2013 at 1:52:51 pm

thanks for the swift concise answers. the biggest problem i foresee with this reality is that my hard drives will fill up much faster than i originally thought. maybe i want to consider avid or premiere now.

-byron

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 26, 2013 at 1:17:28 pm

[Shane Ross] "Yup. The camera shoots XDCAM, and that has a much lower data rate than ProRes 422. I wonder if you can use the Canon XF Transfer utility to re-wrap these as QT...then you'll have QT XDCAM, much lighter than ProRes."
That should be the way to go.
Fast and keep the original files/size.
rafael

Return to posts index

Byron Caplan
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:07:29 pm

okay... so i went back into the log and transfer window and found the little "cog"-icon pulldown at the top, which is where i found "preferences," and in there i found the canon xf transfer MPEG-2 plug-in. over to the right, it was set for "ProRes" which i guess is the default setting on FCP.... i clicked it and found two other choices. One choice was "native." i re-set it to "native," and that did the trick! i re-digitized the clips and their file sizes went way down... back down to where they were on the CF card... at approx. 6.1MBps (50Mbps) instead of 17.5MBps.

btw- the transfer happens a lot faster with this setting.

Thanks a ton. i never would have figured that out on my own!!!

-byron

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 27, 2013 at 1:43:31 am

[Byron Caplan] "btw- the transfer happens a lot faster with this setting."
Right.
There is not any kind of transcoding/processing. The original video/audio info is re-packed in a new QT "container" instead of the MXF.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]