FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anomalies in FC7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Zychowski
Anomalies in FC7
on Sep 22, 2013 at 11:11:40 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering whether I could get anyone's opinion or ideally even help regarding a few issues I've been having in Final Cut Pro 7.

Just a quick background - I'm working in a high-end authoring/post/broadcast facility in a environment almost entirely based on FCP7. While the machines were on 10.6.8 there was nothing unusual apart from the standard documented issues (namely white frame upon exporting stills, problems handling 24fps footage etc).

However as a result of certain infrastructure upgrades all our mac pros had to be upgraded to 10.8 (for "compatibility' reasons) and since then we have encountered a slew of problems when using FCP7.

We are aware that yes, FCP7 is now considered legacy and it's 32bit PPC origins can't be expected to cooperate 100% with 10.8's almost exclusively 64bit architecture - however, a complete overhaul of our workflow and software is not ideal and at the moment we are considering moving to another NLE (eg. media composer/premiere pro) only as an absolute last resort.(another issue in and of itself)

Until we reach that point, any help or brainstorming regarding the following issues would be highly appreciated!!

Along with a team of other editors I have tried everything to try and solve these issues, from reboots, to re installs to total system rebuilds and nothing has helped thus far, which is why I have come here in case there is something that has been missed or overlooked.

FCP7 is version 7.0.3 running on OS X 10.8.4 on a very recently purchased MacPro with 12 GB RAM and 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor. All media files are sourced externally on a fibre network storage system.

Now the problems;

1) When exporting certain files through quicktime conversion (namely Prores 422 HD 1920x1080 files of various fps) final cut seems to add discrete waveforms to the tail of the material which cannot be heard but are being picked up and stopped by encoding software further along our project pipeline. The results are totally random and appear to be different in every instance. This occurs to footage with the original (un-touched) tail, added slug, or with an 'out point' an arbitrary amount down along the timeline without any filler in between. (see attached screengrab 1)

2. The second issue is that when exporting say an audio track from a sequence (25 fps PAL 720x576 16bit 48Khz) that is 01:25:25;04 long - with the same corresponding settings. Upon importing that file back into the same sequence the new file is now displayed as having a duration of 01:25:20;02. Even though other software such as Sonic Scenarist read the correct original duration. This particularly has got us puzzled and is a headache when compiling vast amounts of media.

3. In conjunction with the issue of - on occassion - exporting stills as white frames FCP7 has also started exporting entire videos as white of correct duration but essentially no use whatsoever. Has anyone encountered a similar issue both on 10.8.4 or any other older iteration of OS X?

As I mentioned earlier any help or advice would be highly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my post!

Regards,

Matthew Zychowski

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Anomalies in FC7
on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:08:14 am

The sound sync issue may be the dreaded FCP feature of stamping a frame rate on imported audio which is wrong. Matt Lyons tutorial explains why this happens and how to correct this.Also read his comments as he has discovered some new techniques. http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1178226

Why not run dual boot drives and have FCP stay on Snow Leopard.Lots of people say they have no problems with Mountain Lion but Apple are on a yearly OS cycle and FCP7 will break if you keep upgrading. Keeping a dual boot going means you just use SL for FCP and boot to a different drive if you want the best from Adobe or AVID.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]