FORUMS: list search recent posts

A random problem...clips changing to other clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Lee
A random problem...clips changing to other clips
on Sep 22, 2013 at 6:10:48 pm

I have a random problem which happens sporadically.

I work with AVCHD material in FCP (not X). I ingest using Log and Transfer. This creates a series of Clip #xx clips in ascending number order.

I do this for multiple cards (second cards clips start after the first i.e. from 53 etc).

All is fine. Then randomly the clips go offline one day and when you look at them in Finder they have changed. So Clip #46 is of say a garden - then it is of something totally different.

I usually backup to multiple HDs so can compare it easily. Its even more weird than that - the ProRes files remain the same size as the original. So say I have a clip of 10mins (c. 8GB) it can be replaced with a clip of 3 seconds and remain 8GB in length.

FCP throws a wobble when you reconnect it as the start and end times don't match.

I have had this across multiple machines ingesting from multiple different SD cards.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: A random problem...clips changing to other clips
on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:06:12 pm

AVCHD cameras start the numbering scheme over when you put in a new card. So the new card will start with Clip #001, Clip #002 and so on. This is why it is pretty important to take advantage of FCP's ability to rename clips in the Log and Transfer interface. Otherwise you'll end up with multiple clips with the same name, and FCP looks to the name over everything else when reconnecting media. Or, rename the media in FCP and use the RENAME MEDIA TO MATCH CLIP option in FCP

So...how to reconnect the proper media now...that's the tricky part. You might need to track down the right clips on the finder level, rename them, then reconnect in FCP...uncheck the "use clip names" option, and manually navigate to the clips...one by one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Lee
on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:14:24 pm

Thanks, though for me FCP resumes numbers. i.e. card 2 starts at clip 53 so I don't have any clips with the same name?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:19:29 pm

So FCP isn't linking to another clip with the same name?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Lee
on Sep 22, 2013 at 11:21:36 pm

No. All goes offline and clips are randomly different even in finder.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:41:55 pm

When was the lat time you trashed your FCP Preferences. Digital Rebellion has a free and highly-recommended app to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]