FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP QT reference movies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bradsell
FCP QT reference movies
on Sep 21, 2013 at 3:24:59 pm

Hi, everybody!

I have looked under FAQs to see if my problem has been dealt with but the answer seems to be nearly but not quite.

I want to make a QT reference file so that the original rushes file can be used for the online editor to capture in Smoke & Flame for inclusion in a documentary for TV transmission.

However, the resultant file seems suspiciously large and is in fact identical to a file of the same material exported to a self-contained movie file. I suspect that the so called reference file is no such thing! Can anybody suggest what might be wrong? The original tape was shot on a Sony Z5 in HD and captured to FCP using AppleProres 422 (HQ) 1440x1080 50i as the codec.

The same codec was used in the attempt to make the QT reference. Any help will be welcome as exporting a self contained movie has a small but perceptible degrading effect. No correction or FX were used in creating the cut (a simple assembly of "talking heads") so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Mike

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP QT reference movies
on Sep 22, 2013 at 1:52:46 am

"The same codec was used in the attempt to make the QT reference"

if you specify ANY setting, even one that exactly matches your source,
you will get a self-contained file.

the trick is to use the "Same Settings" menu item.

you do realise that handing over a reference file to anyone else is a rather risky situation.
are you giving them the entire drive, so the reference move will have the correct files to refer to?
is there a problem with using your larger self-contained file?

nick

Return to posts index

Mike Bradsell
on Sep 22, 2013 at 2:20:38 pm

Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Unfortunately I can't find a "same setting" command in the export window (or anywhere else on FCP. Could it be that my version of FCP (6.0.6) is too old to include this option?

I am aware of the dangers of giving a third party a reference file but my intention was to lend the hard drive to the online editor for capture.

I would happily export a self-contained file, in fact the rest of this 85 minute documentary was done in that way, but such a file appears to be exported from the time-line rather than the original rushes file. Although it is very bad of Apple if there is any noise or other artifacts added by FCP it was quite clear that the rushes file was just that bit cleaner and easier to colour correct.

We had decided that to export using the 10-bit uncompressed codec would be a usable compromise but I would feel better about it if it was possible to go the reference route.

Any further advice would be very welcome.

Mike

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 22, 2013 at 5:10:06 pm

try "Item Settings".
it's the default when you export.

"Although it is very bad of Apple if there is any noise or other artifacts added by FCP it was quite clear that the rushes file was just that bit cleaner and easier to colour correct."

what, so you are wanting the grader to grade the reference file?
that's just crazy, sorry.

there should be no difference between a reference file and a self contained,
if there is, you must be doing something wrong.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]