FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F5 FCP7 Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Shane
Sony F5 FCP7 Workflow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:10:09 pm

Hi,

I will be editing an hour long series on FCP 7 with footage entirely shot on the Sony F5 and am looking for advice on a workflow. It looks like I am unable to to use log and transfer for the footage and must import --> Sony xdcam. Because drive space is an issue I'd like to use pro res proxy for the offline, so I am thinking I will import all footage and then send to compressor to convert to pro res proxy for the offline edit and then reconnect for online. Does this sound like a plan or am I missing something? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Jordan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony F5 FCP7 Workflow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 5:53:53 pm

If drive space is an issue, how will converting all the footage to full res ProRes 422, or HQ...then making copies as ProRes Proxy...save space? If you have the space for the ProRes HQ or 422, just edit with that.

Or is this a shared server storage issue? I had this on a show that was shot with an XDCAM camera. We imported it all ProRes 422, stored the masters on G-Raids, Media Managed the footage to DV (no proxy at the time we did this), edited with the DV footage, then relinked to the ProRes 422 later. Pretty smooth really.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jordan Shane
on Sep 20, 2013 at 7:44:03 pm

Thanks Shane, yes, shared server storage issue. Appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:23:26 pm

The F5/F55 workflow is rather non existent for XAVC without a decent amount of hoops.

If you shoot XDcam, you can transfer right from the Sony Content Browser, but then you're shooting in XDcam.

If you shoot XAVC, you can look in to getting an MXF plug in such as MXF4Mac or Calibrated and work with the media directly.

XDCam is a pretty efficient codec, I'm not sure if Proxy will be necessary.

Test test test.

Return to posts index

chris gu
on Dec 22, 2014 at 10:52:56 am

Sony has provided the XAVC plug-in for Final Cut Pro X, so you can consider upgrading your FCP 7 to FCP X. Or as you mentioned, formatting “XAVC” to “ProRes” is a common practice to get XAVC files into FCP 7 for immediate, native workflow. A simlimar threat talks about the Sony XAVC to FCP issues: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/28460
It may also gave you some hints.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]