FORUMS: list search recent posts

filming stop motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hagop Goudsouzian
filming stop motion
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:23:52 am

I hope the term is stop motion (filming a few frames every minute). I film 1080i with the Sony HXR-NX5 and hoping to film sunsets, sunrise and traffic etc. later in FCP speed it up. My camera cannot do it. In the case of a sunrise, I was thinking of letting the camera run for the duration and later in FCP speed up the desired part. I am not sure if FCP will be able to do it in one pass I might have to export and then import accelerate export and then re-import into the final timeline. I will use a similar method for sunset. For night traffic I would like to get streaks of light. My concerns are if this is the right way to do it given the limitations and am also concerned about exposure particularly filming sunrise. At some point the light increases suddenly should I consider auto exposure?

Note: if I need to get additional equipment, it would have to be small and light as I will be doing the filming while traveling.

Suggestions will be appreciated...

Thank you,

Hagop

Return to posts index

Drew Umland
Re: filming stop motion
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:28:41 am

Hey,
The term for what you want is called Time-lapse. The process can be similar to stop motion, but the intent is different.

Sure, you can let the camera run and then speed it up in post. However, After Effects would probably be a better solution than FCP for that if you need to speed it up more than 1000%...and FCP kinda sucks at speed adjustments anyways.

As far as the streaks of light you desire from the traffic that comes from the "shutter speed" of the camera. I'm not familiar with your specific camera but sonys usually have the option to open/slow down the "shutter". I put it in quotes as video cameras don't really have shutters. Its a simulated effect. Of course, to change that you will probably can't use auto exposure mode.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 20, 2013 at 2:03:20 pm

You could hook up your camera or a DSLR to your l mac aptop and run iStopmotion by Boinx, to getreal stop-motion. There are probably similar apps for PC laptops. Or, some DSLR's have interval recording built-in now.

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:36:34 pm

Thank you.

Hagop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]