FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam codecs mix nicely, ProRes not so much

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Nicholson
XDCam codecs mix nicely, ProRes not so much
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:40:46 pm

While we know that ProRes and ProRes LT won't live together natively on the same timeline, interestingly (to me anyway), XDCAM 422 and XDCAM EX are very happy (natively speaking) on the same timeline. Would think that if anything it would be the other way around. Any thoughts from a "wiser fool"? (attribution - F. Zappa)

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XDCam codecs mix nicely, ProRes not so much
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:12:07 pm

I've never had issues mixing ProRes codecs. Nor adding XDCAM to the mix in a ProRes sequence.

Are you saying that XDCAM 422 and XDCAM EX mix without rendering? Then they are the exact same format..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:41:05 pm

Right, I mean mix without rendering. Maybe its a processor thing... On a native ProRes 422 timeline, we add a ProRes LT clip and it (the LT clip) goes into Preview (green line) status.
On a native XDCAM 422 timeline, we add an XDCAM EX clip and everything stays gray, no renders needed.

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:50:44 pm

That means that both formats of XDCAM are the same...exactly the same. But adding a clip and getting light green doesn't mean the formats don't mix well...that's real time mixing...only requires a render in the end.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Sep 17, 2013 at 11:02:08 pm

But that's the thing, the XDCAM 422 footage was shot using a PDW 700 and a 50mps CBR codec and the XDCAM EX footage was shot with an EX-1 at 35 mps. There not even close to being the same thing yet... absolutely no rendering needed at all. Edit To Tape goes right off without rendering at all.

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 17, 2013 at 11:03:20 pm

Look at both their settings in FCP. Even though they were shot different, did the XDCAM TRANSFER UTILITY make them the same? Sorry, you've really peaked my curiosity...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 18, 2013 at 3:42:00 pm

[Ken Nicholson] "There not even close to being the same thing yet... absolutely no rendering needed at all. Edit To Tape goes right off without rendering at all."
Sorry, but that's impossible.
Whatever you put on a time-line will be rendered to the sequence setting, unless already match the sequence settings.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:50:31 pm

I put together a screenshot comp that shows what we're getting. Here is the link:

Let me know what you think

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 23, 2013 at 7:05:00 pm

Well, your picture shows that your initial statement was wrong...it didn't stay GREY, but in fact was dark green. That does mean real time playback at high quality, yes...but it isn't grey.

I mix ProRes and ProRes HQ and I get the light green bar...because they are higher data rates...I'm guessing. I don't know as I am not a coder, I don't know what goes on under the hood...I'm an end user like you. But I can mix ProRes and HQ fine, just render when done. And even when I have the dark green render bar...I render fully.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Sep 25, 2013 at 9:57:41 pm

When I was pulling the screenshots, I noticed the status bar was dark green (not the easiest thing to distinguish from dark gray btw). I called it out in the screenshot, but the dark green descriptor says no rendering needed, full resolution. So is this wrong? Why can I go to tape without it auto rendering those clips? Auto render does the red, orange, green (preview) but not those...

Of course I can force a render that turns those clips dark gray, but they don't look any different after the render.

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]