FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color correction: MXF vs. Pro Res???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
Color correction: MXF vs. Pro Res???
on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:04:00 pm

Hi.
The DP on my project shot on the C300 which generated MXF files. Normally, I transcode those to Pro Res 422 and color correct that footage.

This time, to save some storage space I transcoded to Pro Res LT. They look the same to my eye, but the DP wants to color correct the MXF files. How is this achieved? It's a direct to DVD project, standard def. No Blu Rays being pressed, to my knowledge. Thanks!

Mac quad core
9 gigs RAM
2.66 ghz
10,000 rpm Raptor drive
4 TB RAID external drive
FW 800

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color correction: MXF vs. Pro Res???
on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:38:57 pm

He wants to color correct the camera originals? Can't do that with any of the tools in Final Cut Studio. FCP doesn't work with MXF, nor does Color. You'll have to export an EDL or XML or something that'll link to the originals in Scratch or Resolve.

You can media manage and reimport those files as ProRes HQ, and use COLOR. IF they insist on going to the originals, you'll have to look to alternative software.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:08:23 am

My understanding is that he wants access to all the raw data on MXF, grade on DaVinci or Resolve. In any case, I am not a colorist.

What do I need to do to make that info available to him? Literally every project I've worked on in FCP7 stayed in FCP7, so I'm not familiar with EDLs. Advice? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:15:42 am

Well, who will be the colorist? That's who I'd ask. Workflow depends on what they use, and they will know how to make it work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:55:05 pm

MXF is just a container, not a codec!
MXF containers can hold any video/audio format. In FCP you have to unload the MXF container, more modern editing systems don't need to unwrap the video/audio files. If you do CC I would always use a proper editing Codec such as Prores or Avids Dnx codec.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]