FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 'Log and Transfer' Quick Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Tomlinson
FCP 7 'Log and Transfer' Quick Question
on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:29:38 pm

Hello,

A quick question I hope someone can help me with...

I have rushes from a shoot saved onto my hard drive from my memory cards

I then use log and transfer to get the rushes into FCP

Can I now delete the rushes from my hard drive as FCP will work from the capture scratch? (to help free up space) or do I need to keep the files for reference?

To me it looks like FCP has made copies when logging and transferring and doesn't work from the files at all, just from the 'new' files in the capture scratch, but I am not 100% and do not dare to delete the files, yet!

If you need info regarding my machine I am happy to supply but I haven't stated any as I don't think you will.

Thanks you for your help in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 'Log and Transfer' Quick Question
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:49:07 pm

Hard drives are really cheap so keep your rushes. Most people keep two copies of their rushes just in case. Yes FCP is making new files but if you need to go back and recapture for any reason (like a drive fails or the client wants changes down the track) then you need to go back to rushes.

If this is just a private project and not a commercial edit for a client then you may consider in the long term if you want to keep your rushes but until the job is over you may need those rushes files.Usually they are a compressed format and take up less space that the converted ProRes files from L&T.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 'Log and Transfer' Quick Question
on Sep 17, 2013 at 12:08:11 am

Those "rushes" are your masters. Think of them as master tapes. If you shot on tape, would you capture those tapes, then throw them away? NO! (you'd better not) You put those on the shelf...archive them. They need to be on separate drives from the media. And you need to back them up to TWO hard drives, not just one, as hard drives fail.

If you ever need to reference that footage again, the originals take up much less space than the converted files, so you can use less drives to archive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]