FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 mask shape question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignatius Gorin
FCP 7 mask shape question
on Sep 16, 2013 at 6:59:04 am

Hi there --

I've got two PNG clips making a lower third on V2 and V3 (main subject on V1).

On V2, I applied a Whoosh transition making the PNG clip slide right to left, disappearing under the PNG clip on V3.

The clip on V3 is positioned about 50 pixels from the left border of the screen, so when the clip on V2 slides under it from the right side, at one point it reappears on the left side because it's wider, where I need these 50 pixels left of the V3 clip to remain transparent (to show main clip on V1).

Right now, I'm manually cropping (left) the V2 clip using key frames, but I suspect there is a way to use a mask shape so when the V2 clip passes the V3 clip's left border, it doesn't show up, and we can only see V1 (main subject).

Would a kind soul help? TIA.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP 7 mask shape question
on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:46:56 pm

a simple approach would be to dupe the bg onto a track above both graphics and crop to the edge of the V3 clip.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:06:40 pm

How about keyframing the opacity on the mask?

When I build an effect like this, I build it over black and export a self-contained movie of it. Later I can crop it or whatever.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01:03 pm

Thanks guys. for your inputs. I ended up keyframing the crop. I thought there would be some kind of transparent matte, something a clip could kinda disappear under.

Thanks again though.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31:07 pm

There was: a piece of cropped slug on an intermediate layer of the "sandwich".

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Sep 17, 2013 at 11:29:29 pm

From V1 you mean Mark, as Nick suggested above?

I'm keeping that one in mind; was a bit in a rush, with a 15 mn long cut, and only a couple of transitions left, but that seems a good workaround. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eddie Maldonado
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:47:20 pm

I know this post is a year old but FCP7 is still hanging around and I figured out this solution for those who want to take the mattes to the next level.

Create a Color or Color solid from the Viewer's Matte menu. Place it in your timeline and crop it to the desired shape, in this case a lower third. What you can then do is use this as track matte by place footage on top of this layer and selecting "Travel Matte - Alpha" from the transfer modes. This is the opposite of the After Effects setup where the matte goes on top and the fill on the bottom.

Now you can animate the crop, position, scale, etc of the color solid to manipulate your track matte without having to crop the footage itself. This is useful when creating complex split screens so a given quadrant can change and you can just sequence the shots to your liking independently.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]