FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media off line big problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
Media off line big problem
on Sep 12, 2013 at 1:23:29 pm

When one "clicks" the save button when you still have files that need to be rendered, you should be able to re-open that same project later and render them later. True?

Well, I decided to shut my system down for the evening and render files later. So I hit the save button, and ejected (5) external hard drives. Well, the one drive that I was presently using for this project would not eject, and I got a message saying FCP was using that drive and could not eject (my 4 other drives ejected OK... except this one). PROBLEM; That entire project has gone offline and FCP is asking me to reset another scratch disk or it cannot auto save. "I don't understand this. Why has this project gone offline just because I ejected other drives that had nothing to do with this project?"

Since I hit the save button on this project before I ejected anything, I shouldn't see any kind of media offline messages should I?

Now, if I set another scratch disc as FCP is asking, I will potentially have two auto save vaults on the same project would I not?

Since I did "click" the save button before all this, could I just force quit the computer and restart and all my drives will mount back up - and my project will be as good as new? Or am I looking at a huge mess to reconnect?

Also, could I simply unplug all my external drives and plug them back in - and would they mount up and the media reconnect automatically?

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Media off line big problem
on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:16:36 pm

Are these five drives in a RAID? It doesn't sound like it.

If the problem drive checks out, you may have to trash your FCP Preferences. Digital Rebellion has a free utility that lets you trash preferences without losing all your settings.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:43:55 pm

Dave....I don't have a RAID. I don't even have a drobo. All my scratch drives are chained up with either firewire or USB 2. Very slow ya know doing 1920 x 1080. I can get by on standard def OK, but still sluggish. I need to max out my intel core 3.06 duo to 8 gb ram...only have 4gb. faster graphic card would help as well.
I really need a faster machine at this point.

I simply shut everything down, and restarted. All seems well at this point. Thanks for the digital rebellion ap advice. I need that. I have FCP rescue 5... but have not need it recently.

"Would you recommend a RAID for the system like I have?"

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2013 at 1:44:57 am

Sorry, can't answer that. The station engineers would put in storage and tell us, "This is what you're using."

Okay, fine....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 13, 2013 at 2:42:32 pm

"So I hit the save button, and ejected (5) external hard drives. Well, the one drive that I was presently using for this project would not eject, and I got a message saying FCP was using that drive and could not eject"

yes, that is normal.
you need to save, close the project,
then QUIT FCP before your system will eject the drives.

nick

Return to posts index

Abigail Klinton
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:51:27 am

I appreciated your sharing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]