FORUMS: list search recent posts

720P50 ProRes to SD-DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
720P50 ProRes to SD-DVD
on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:19:54 pm

So, we dipped our toes in the wrong HD ocean, choosing 720P50 over 1080i25.

I do have Episode and of course Compressor. I also have the Io HD, but I doubt it can be used for anything but analog real-time conversion....?

Target is SD-DVD (PAL) and web/presentation.

I also need WMV9 for subtitling, but going from 50 fps to 25 might be the least of my problems....? (Simply put the ref movie into Episode with downscaling and frame rate set to 25, and burned-in timecode.)

The project is soon due to be delivered, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 720P50 ProRes to SD-DVD
on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:01:07 am

#42 - Quick and dirty way to author a DVD

Shane's Stock Answer #42 - David Roth Weiss' Secret Quick and Dirty Way to Author a DVD:

The absolute simplest way to make a DVD using FCP and DVDSP is as follows:

1. Export a QT movie, either a reference file or self contained using current settings.

2. Open DVDSP, select the "graphical" tab and you will see two little monitors, one blue, one green.

3. Select the left blue one and hit delete.

4. Now, select the green one, right click on it and select the top option "first play".

5. Now drag your QT from the browser and drop it on top of the green monitor.

6. Now, for a DVD from an HD source, look to the right side and select the "general tab" in the track editor, and see the Display Mode, and select "16:9 pan-scan."

7. Hit the little black and yellow burn icon at the top of the page and put a a DVD in when prompted. DVDSP will encode and burn your new DVD.

THATS ALL!!!

NOW...if you want a GOOD LOOKING DVD, instead of taking your REF movie into DVD SP, instead take it into Compressor and choose the BEST QUALITY ENCODE (2 pass VBR) that matches your show timing. Then take THAT result into DVD SP and follow the rest of the steps. Except you can choose "16:9 LETTERBOX" instead of PAN & SCAN if you want to see the entire image.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Sep 10, 2013 at 6:57:06 am

Shane,

As always you are the man with the answers. You, da man!

Now, can it really really be that simple? :-) (I'm used to a lot of fiddling and time-consuming transcoding whenever you are to output anything but a self-contained ref movie).

from having used DVDSP for quite some years now, I really think using the built-in encoder is really not an option (other for a very quick-and-dirty DVD).

I have always used the BitVice encoder to encode my SD footage to MPEG-2. I figure perhaps I can give that a try. Not really that familiar with Compressor (I use it to encode to AC-3) but sure I will give it a try.
Should I perhaps check optional settings when encoding? Since the material will have a running time of 180 mins, bitrate (file size) is important here. The duration varies from 6 to 25 minutes.

The last option would be to try the Episode software, which I use whenever I'm going to web from FCP.

Since the footage is progressive, do I have to worry about field order? My guts says no, but somewhere I have read that ProRes is actually upper field (and DV is always lower, we shot DV50 up until now).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:26:41 pm

[Niklas Wikman] "Now, can it really really be that simple? :-)"

Yes. I use Compressor and the High Quality preset, and bring the result into DVD SP. Works like a charm.

[Niklas Wikman] "
Since the footage is progressive, do I have to worry about field order?"

No. If it's progressive, it will remain progressive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]