FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pulldown from 23.976

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Pulldown from 23.976
on Sep 8, 2013 at 5:13:16 pm

I did some tests on a 23.976 sequence going to 29.97 for broadcast. Using Episode and their telecine framerate settings, no matter what I tried I got the CCCJJ cadence (clean frame, clean frame, clean frame, judder frame, judder frame). The judder frames were combined images with a ghosted image of the talent next to it.

Playback was obviously juddery and had a rough look to it.

For giggles I took the 23.976 ProRes HQ clip into QT Player and simply exported to 29.97. Now I got the CCCCDD cadence (clean frame, clean frame, clean frame, clean frame, new frame, duplicate frame).

It played back perfectly and looked way better than the traditional 3/2 pulldown method with the judder frames. It is a :30 spot so there were no sync problems. Anyone else see this and is there any issue with using Apples pulldown (unconventional as it is) assuming I won't have to remove the pulldown in the future?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Pulldown from 23.976
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:57:06 am

It is the latter that should look juddery. And it should be every 4th frame is repeated, not 5th. We're you looking at the proper 3:2 interlaced pulldown on a computer or tv/broadcast monitor? Because that's what every DVD player and tv station does to 24p material for quite some time now. If the station broadcasts 1080i it uses the 29.97i as is and if it broadcasts 720p it spreads out the cadence over 60 frames instead of 60 fields. Same effect. That's why there's no 720p30 broadcasts. Because it wouldn't be possible to spread out 60 fields over 30 frames, and 24p material would have to have that weird repeated frame cadence.

Even easier than episode with its multitude of settings- you could just drop your ProRes 24p master into a FCP X or Premiere 29.97 timeline and either app will add the proper pulldown. Then just export back out to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Pulldown from 23.976
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:54:51 pm

In Premier 6.0 I get the same pulldown results as FCP (drag 23.976 clip into 29.97 sequence).

Could not figure it out in FCP X...could not find sequence properties, or event or whatever the heck they call it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]