FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log & Transfer tips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Stark
Log & Transfer tips?
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:51:22 pm

Hi folks, I'm working on my first AVCHD project (in FCP 7). I've read most of the How To's and have some specific questions for the veterans out there:

1) What's your recommendation for naming clips? I noticed there are separate fields for "Scene" and "Take" but will these show up on the actual Pro-Res clip name in the Finder? Or should I just include these in the Clip Name (like: PROJECT NAME_SCENE_TAKE).

2) When I'm in Log & Transfer, is there a way to save the naming that I've done? It'll take a while to name all the clips before I start transferring. What if FCP freezes in the middle of this…will the clip names be saved?

3) My footage is 1920x1080 24p (GH2 camera). I plan on editing in a 23.98 timeline. When it's time to output will I need to fool with pulldown for a Blu-Ray disc? What about a regular dvd? Is there a way to do this within FCP?

4) I plan on archiving my SD cards as read-only .dmg files. Say, 5 yrs from now I want to revisit the project (after the Pro-Res files are long gone). If I open my .dmg files on the desktop (to appear as the SD card "reels") will FCP recognize these and re-transcode according to the timeline?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log & Transfer tips?
on Sep 7, 2013 at 10:47:25 pm

1) Name them in ways that you know what they are. Naming conventions are to make it easier for you to find footage.

[Ray Stark] "I noticed there are separate fields for "Scene" and "Take" but will these show up on the actual Pro-Res clip name in the Finder?"

Yes...the clip name you L&T will be the name of the QT file on the Finder level.

2) You can set a Custom Name with Counter, and this will be saved.

3) DVD's and BluRay also play at 24fps. Hollywood movies run at 24fps.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Log & Transfer tips?
on Sep 8, 2013 at 3:38:42 am

[Ray Stark] "3) My footage is 1920x1080 24p (GH2 camera). I plan on editing in a 23.98 timeline. When it's time to output will I need to fool with pulldown for a Blu-Ray disc? What about a regular dvd? Is there a way to do this within FCP?"
Those p24 are not really "p24" but "p23,98".
Real "p24" is only found in cinematographic cameras. Is not a video standard and the GH2 works with video time bases: "23,98", "29,97" and "59,94". Those time bases are commonly identified as "24fps", "30fps" and "60fps" for commercial purposes.
So L&T and edit on a "p23,98" sequence.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]