FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rates and Exports

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Gruber
Frame Rates and Exports
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:22:37 am

Hi All!

So I have a sequence with some footage in 29.97 and another in 23.98. The DP assures me that when I go to export this to a quicktime it will conform it all to a single frame rate. I'm concerned because when I go into mix I don't want any audio drift issues. What should I do???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Frame Rates and Exports
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:02:01 am

Not listen to your DP, for one. He's speaking out of his ass. Oh, sure, it will all be one frame rate, the frame rate of the sequence. But MIXING both frame rates in that sequence will look like crap. Because FCP doesn't mix frame rates well...not well at all. It will add, or remove, pulldown improperly. You'll get double frames, or frame jumping...ugly.

No, what you needed to do was choose the frame rate you wanted to work in and deliver, and then convert the other frame rate to match. FYI, 23.98 converted to interlaced 29.97 looks a lot better than 29.97 converted to 23.98. Unless this is bound for the web, in which case you don't want interlacing, and the conversion won't look quite as good.

So now that you have the edit finished, with this mixture...now what do you do? Well, depends on how good you want it to look. You could listen to your idiot DP and just export and have skippy frames all over the place. (sorry, he might be a brilliant DP, get fantastic images, but he's showing knows crap about post). Or, if you want it to look good, you have some work ahead of you. You'll have to convert all the footage with the off frame rate to match the frame rate you want, and then re-cut it back into the sequence...manually. Because FCP will not relink to footage if the frame rate differs.

Best way to do this is to duplicate the sequence. In the duplicate, remove all the footage from it that is the right frame rate....we want to only have the footage you want to convert. Once you do that, Media Manage the cut, using the COPY option, and have it only do what is in the cut...in other words, not the full clip. Only the portions used in the cut, with 1-2 second handles. Once you do that...locate the folder containing these media managed clips on the Finder level. Drag them all into Compressor and compress them to the same codec, but in the ENCODER tab in the Inspector, click on VIDEO to get to the controls, and change the frame rate to be what you want. Then, go to the FRAME CONTROLS and adjust settings. WHICH ONES? Well, depends on what frame rate you are converting too. I can tell you more about that when you let me know what that is.

Then you take all the converted files, import them into the main project...and manually replace all the off-frame rate footage with this newly converted footage.

Then...smack your DP upside the head and tell them to stick to shooting, and to shoot ONE FRAME RATE....not two, or three.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:13:53 am

Thank you so much Shane. I don't think there's an editor in the world who hasn't benefited from your amazing advice.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:28:02 am

There might be a few camera people who dislike me.

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Touchton
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:13:21 am

Hi Shane. I'm actually Harrison's friend with the film in two frame rates.
I edited the film largely myself on FCP 7 but also with Harrison's help because I am technically very unskilled.

With the help of youtube tutorials and pages, I used media manager and compressor to convert 41 clips to match 6 of them.

However, despite using in and out points on the timeline before converting, media manager did NOT convert simply the cut clips but instead the raw footage.

With footage 4 hours into a 16 hour conversion process....while there is still time to start over, I am wondering....Why is my media manager in my FCP 7 giving me the raw footage and not the edited clips from my timeline?

Please help, my ability to finally finish this film would be greatly saved if I could just cut in the converted clips rather than the raw footage.

Thanks!!!!
Oh and thanks for your reply to Harrison's question on my behalf, you helped get from novice to FCP compressor.

Return to posts index

Tony Grocki
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:28:00 pm

Christopher,

The media Manage box can be a little tricky until you get used to it. The key is the copy selection in the choices. The green bars up top will show you the amount of the original footage in GIGS and the lower green bars will show the size of what you are copying. You need to make sure the lower bars are showing significantly less GIGS (in this case) than the top bar. That will mean you are only taking the footage in the cut, along with any handle size you have designated.

Tony Grocki

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:46:45 pm

Shane gives you the tske-it-to-the-bank authoritative answer. In your DP's case the initials stand for "Director of Phoolishness". Where did this maroon pick up his/her credentials, a box of Crackerjacks or something?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]