FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Media for SD Broadcast?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david brundage
HD Media for SD Broadcast?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:28:03 pm

Hi,

I have a client who had a 3D animation created at 1280x720 (obviously widescreen), but needs to output in SD for broadcast.

I know I can either set the timeline for 720x480 and have black bars at the top and bottom to then fit the entire width of the animation in the frame, or scale the animation so it fits the entire frame vertically and then has the sides cut off (center punched, if I've understood correctly).

My question is this, what happens if I check the "anamorphic" box on the 720x480 timeline? Obviously the 1280x720 animation scales down to fit the screen properly, but what will happen when I send it to the stations? Will it be center punched when it goes out to broadcast or will it retain that aspect ration and have bars on top and bottom for those TVs that don't support widescreen?

I know DVDs have a "pan and scan" feature that basically (if I understand correctly) checks what your TV will do and adjusts appropriately, but I don't suppose TV stations will treat the 16x9 media in the same way.

As always, my client would like to have her cake and eat it, too. She doesn't want to have bars on the top and bottom, but decided without consulting me that she wanted a widescreen animation created for SD output.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HD Media for SD Broadcast?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:37:00 pm

[david brundage] "
My question is this, what happens if I check the "anamorphic" box on the 720x480 timeline?"

Then it will look squeezed...things will be taller and thinner. And it will air this way...which isn't good. SD broadcast networks air 720x486 4:3...they don't unsqueeze anamorphic. I've seen more than a few commercials that were anamorphic, and simply aired squeezed. They looked silly.

[david brundage] "Obviously the 1280x720 animation scales down to fit the screen properly, but what will happen when I send it to the stations?"

It will air squeezed. Ask them...I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing. Best to ask them and not us anyway...how do WE know what they will do?

[david brundage] "Will it be center punched when it goes out to broadcast or will it retain that aspect ration and have bars on top and bottom for those TVs that don't support widescreen?"

It will, typically, air squeezed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]