FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to Recompress ProRes 4444 to 422, and having a dickens of a time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephani Gordon
Trying to Recompress ProRes 4444 to 422, and having a dickens of a time
on Sep 5, 2013 at 3:02:56 am

My editor's computer seems to be choking on the ProRes 4444, so much so that I decided to undertake recompressing it all to 422, as I should have done from the start. (origination- 5d/mk3, 1080p/23.98, with some shot footage at 29.97 for slight overcrank).

Media manager is taking ages, and skips files, so I've been trying other options. For one of the projects I was able to simply re-log/transfer all the original files w/o having to rename them. The other 2 shoots I did, even when I go back to the original FCP project file used to log the footage- it hasn't retained the clip file names in the log/transfer window. The name pops up quickly if I start to type it in for the clip, so I know the project remembers it, but it doesn't show it next to the clip so I have to manually re-enter each clip name. A total pain.

Shane Ross, you recommended Batch Capture in another post, and that sounds promising. When I try it, I only get a simple dialog box with one option- 'all selected media' or 'all offline selected media', then it gives me an error saying 'missing volume', even though the volume is mounted right there in log/transfer.

Any ideas? Anyone? On how to do this efficiently, or on why some projects remember the file names logged, and others don't? (or why batch capture rejects the volume. does it have to be on the same drive as originally??)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to Recompress ProRes 4444 to 422, and having a dickens of a time
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:33:14 pm

Batch Capture of Canon DSLR footage has been found to have some issues. If you move the footage from the place you originally L&T it from, FCP won't find it. If you are missing the THM files, FCP might not find it. FCP is 4 years old, and it's beginning to show.

If you cannot re-import the footage, use Compressor on the footage that you have. yes, it will take time...do it overnight.

ProRes 4444 is plain silly for DSLR footage. Just because the name is more impressive, doesn't mean it's better. ProRes 422 is perfect for the job.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephani Gordon
Re: Trying to Recompress ProRes 4444 to 422, and having a dickens of a time
on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:30:12 pm

Thanks Shane. Good things to know.

I don't use 4444 anymore- that was from my first 4 months with the camera when I didn't realize the color space wasn't there anyway, and that 422 was plenty.

It's so much footage- I've been transcoding it overnight (and during the day), sometimes on two computers, for 5 days now, and am about 80% done.

Compressor kept choking when I'd load more than 20 files at a time. I finally am just being patient with Media Manager, and it seems to be working, though I read in one of your other posts that it will lose a few (key) meta data.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]