FORUMS: list search recent posts

PRORES EDITING printing back to HDV for broadcast.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Warner
PRORES EDITING printing back to HDV for broadcast.
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:25:14 pm

I'm working a half hour local show and they require a tape for the final version to be aired. I shoot mostly on a Sony FS 100 and use Clip Wrap to convert the MTS files to pro res. We generally do 30 sec spots which can be uploaded via FTP to the station so the use of tape will be a small hurdle for me. Of the ten or so formats I was told they will except, HDV was the easiest and cheapest deck we could acquire. Here's the deck we purchased.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HVRM15AU/

the show is airing for the first time in a week and a half and we start shooting this coming Friday. I want to know the best way to take my finished sequence for the show on to the Tape using this deck. From what I've read going from pro res to HDV isn't friendly but possible. Seeing as how most of the show isn't shot yet. I have the option to use clip wrap to covert to HDV and just edit in HDV instead of pro res. though my normal work flow is to edit in prores I'd like to make that work because I will have to mix in some already shot footage.

I don't have any matrox, aja or black magic i/o cards and want to do this over firewire. so far the only way a prores workflow as far as I read will work is to

A: export to a HDV quicktime file, bring back into a FCP sequence and print to tape or
B: drop the entire prores sequence into a HDV timeline render then print to tape.

it's a half hour show that is planned to be finished on a wednesday and brought to cable station on Thursday mornings. I've never done this workflow any Ideas on how long a 30min project will to to render for HDV print to tape. Also will this even work.

-Brandon Warner-
Producer
Iris Film and Production
BrandonW2886@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PRORES EDITING printing back to HDV for broadcast.
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:44:36 pm

You have the deck...do a test and see. I'd go for Option B...an HDV sequence, then use the PRINT TO TAPE option. The major drawback to this is that you cannot output to that format with proper timecode. Meaning Starting the tape at 58:00:00:00....bars and tone at 58:30:00 to 59:30:00...slate, countdown...then show starting at 1:00:00;00 on the dot. Not if you output via firewire. So if the station requires that, you'll be in a pickle.

But seriously...test this thoroughly on your end. Make a test sequence...random clips if you need...in the length you need. Then copy and paste into an HDV sequence, render...possible add a few filters you might plan on using to get closer render times...and time that. Then do a test output.

Just know that there will be NO way to get proper mastering timecode to that deck. It doesn't have an RS-422 deck control connection, so even if you had an AJA, MAtrox or BMD card, you couldn't do it. That deck is meant as a very simple and cheap player...with some recording capability. It isn't a mastering deck....just FYI.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brandon Warner
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:05:03 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I should have the deck a couple days I testing will be the first thing I do. I'm hoping they don't need the timecode.

-Brandon Warner-
Producer
Iris Film and Production
BrandonW2886@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:40:05 pm

If this experiment doesn't work out, you could FTP the master to a company like DG Systems, and leave the formatting, dubbing and overnight shipping to them. (at a markup of course).

I would call the station's chief engineer and ask directly what they do with the incoming HDV tapes. If they just transfer it to a playback server, for example, you would be "streets ahead" in just buying them a BluRay drive and mastering your HD programming on BD disks. Or getting access to the file server for FTP-ing direct. My experience has been that front-office people are sometimes clueless about formats, and they just default to some term they have heard of, or that was once prevalent, but is now irrelevant. If we never questioned these orders, a lot more of us would still be shipping out masters on D-2, Umatic and betacam SP.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:48:15 pm

The station's chief engineer is your person. Ask him or her, tell what you are up to and don't pretend to be master class, just be honest! I would send them a digital file in the exact format they use for broadcasting. make life for them easier - to your advantage. This will be most impressing for them, because you understand their needs. I would also consider buying a transcoding software to fulfill their needs if necessary. I would deliver the program via post on a NTFS formated harddisc.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Brandon Warner
on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:54:19 pm

I would love to send them a digital file in the exact format they need, thats what we do for commercial spots. But because of the size of the longer format stuff they don't do that. This is the whole reason we have to figure out a tape format. I was a little shocked to hear how much they still reply on tape.

thanks for all the quick responses.

-Brandon Warner-
Producer
Iris Film and Production
BrandonW2886@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:01:17 pm

So you have to tell them, that your program doesn't start at the 1 hour timecode they expect, because your deck doesn't do exact timecode. But do a proper black and bars on it.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]