FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Out of Memory Error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Gamble
Final Cut Pro Out of Memory Error
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:06:07 pm

So I've been using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 for some time now. Here's my issue, when trying to export with "QuickTime Conversion" on a project on my desktop system I get an "Out of Memory Error" after it has been exporting for a little while. The strange thing is when I have the exact same project on my laptop and run the same export it works flawlessly. WHY IS THIS!? I've tried re-installing Final Cut Pro on my desktop and still have no luck. Anyone please help! System specs below. Thanks, -Tim

Desktop
OS X 10.8.4
Processor: 2 x 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 24GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Hard Drives: Standard 1TB drive "Software installed on", 2TB drive for data, 2x 3TB drives for data.

Laptop
OS X 10.8.4
Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Hard Drive: Single SSD drive "Samsung SSD 840 Series" 500GB

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Final Cut Pro Out of Memory Error
on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:52:30 pm

Hi Tim

Are the desktop and laptop linked to exactly the same media and render files etc etc or are they running on a duplicate set of media ?
My reason for asking is that one of the myriad reasons for the annoying "out of memory" error can be a dodgy render file. But if they are both looking at exactly the same media that seems perhaps a little less likely.
What codec are you exporting from and to in your quicktime conversion ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 or MC V 7 with Symphony option. FCP7, Color, Media creation and conversion. Adobe Encore DVD creation and authoring.
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 or MC v7 with Symphony option FCP7
7TB raid 5 fibre storage.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:18:37 am

Out of memory messages are often for reasons other than the amount of memory your system has. FCP only addresses 4 gig so both systems have enough RAM.

A common cause for this error message is a still image with high resolution exceeding 4,000 pixels width or height. It may also be a combination of plugins and an underperforming graphics card. If Quicktime Conversion is having those issues, try export a Quicktime Movie with current settings and use Compressor to do the conversion.

Finally it might be the codec you are editing with. What is your source footage and what sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Tim Gamble
on Sep 4, 2013 at 4:03:32 am

Thanks for your posts. Here's a little more info.

First I'm exporting using Quicktime conversion and my export settings are: Video: Quicktime Movie, Compression: H.264, Data rate restrict to 6,000 kbits/sec, Fast encode (Single-pass), Size 1920 x 1080 HD; Audio: AAC, 48,000kHz, Quality Normal, 320 kbps. Unchecked "Prepare for Internet Streaming".

The video files are from a JVC GY-HM600U, Per Quicktime: XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR), 1,920 x 1,080 (1,888 x 1,062) Linear PCM, 16 bit big-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz. The format is .MOV, and Final Cut reads them as a native file. I only have three other small media pieces, first is a .MP4 video clip 30 seconds in length at the beginning before the .MOV files then right as the .MOV file begins I have a lower third graphic made in After Effects that has a transparency on it. That file is also .MOV. Then about a quarter of the way into the video I have another lower third FX Factory title with a 1920 x 1080 graphic background, which last a couple minutes on screen. The entire video is 45mins total in length.

As far as where all the media is stored, I usually just pop the SD card from the JVC camera into either my laptop or desktop and then just drag the video files into Final Cut Pro and edit directly off the card. My laptop never seems to have any issue with this. As for my desktop, could the issue be that I have the application installed on my main OS 1TB drive but them I'm using my 3TB drive to do everything else? "Data storage, Video render, Audio render, Waveform cache, Thumbnail cache, Autosave vault, etc...?" Is it a better choice to have all that one the main disc drive as my laptop only has a single drive?

Thanks so much for your responses.
-Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:26:31 am

Yikes, editing off the cards! Not really a good idea. I presume your sequence settings are also XDCam and match the footage.

Check the AE Graphic to make sure pixel size is well under 4K. The mp4 is a no no as FCP hates H264 or mp4 original files. Should be converted to an edit codec first with ProRes 422 being the best.

If after fixing those issues and there is a problem with a render or a corrupt file, then try making the quicktime in sections (using mark in/out) until you isolate the area and then the clip(s) that are the problem.

Return to posts index

Tim Gamble
on Sep 4, 2013 at 1:26:17 pm

I know editing off cards is never suggested but I only do it for one certain project. When I can I absolutely put the media on the local disc drive.

So I'm working on another project and now I'm getting "Out of Memory" flags with it as well. It's a super small project under 1 minute. I used "Log and Transfer..." within Final Cut to import the video. I have a simple fade in and fade out, with a lower third title throughout the clip, nothing else. The title app I'm using is from FX Factory called "Manifesto (Static)". If I remove this title and just export the clip with the fades there's NO issue! So it has to be something with that FX Factory "Manifesto (Static)" title plugin. I use that in the project I originally was having issues with. So what can I do to fix this? I'm going to try and uninstall FX Factory and re-install it and see if that fixes it.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:00:41 pm

That suggests your graphics card can't handle the FX Factory plugins.

Return to posts index

Tim Gamble
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:25:10 pm

So this issue may happen again even after uninstalling it and reinstalling it fixed it? What video card is suggested as a replacement? I have the two below cards currently installed. I have three monitors setup. Two are for wide screen "more real estate" for final cut editing. And the third screen is for full screen preview/playback in final cut as well.

• ATI Radeon HD 5770
• Nvidia GeForce GT 120

Thanks!
-Tim

-Tim

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:34:59 am

The 5770 should be good for FX plugins but FCP is notorious for not liking multi graphics card setups. As an experiment you might take the GT 120 out and see if that helps. FCP may be using the GT as the graphics engine for plugins. If so then swapping the PCI order may help.

Might be worth doing a bit of a search for graphics card config with FCP. I do know that certain plugins and generators that use the FX architecture are specific about graphics cards and the ATI cards are recommended.

Return to posts index

Tim Gamble
on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:54:30 pm

Ok, so I ordered a "ATI Radeon HD 5770" to replace the "Nvidia GeForce GT 120". I hope this solves the problem. I'll post my results this week. I hope it also solves a bug that I have when using Adobe After Effects. Where when using a full screen preview on a monitor attached to the Nvidia card after a few minutes of editing the screen just freezes a still of a single frame from the project. The only way to unfreeze it is to close down After Effects and reopen it. Hope that's fixed as well.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Ben Singer
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:12:16 am

A bit late here, but I'm curious how or if this was resolved.

I'm working on FCP 7 on a year old (late 2012) iMac with the specs below, and I often get "out of memory" and "codec error" messages as I work. Oh, and crashes. Lots and lots of crashes.

With 16 GB of RAM and the juiced up NVIDIA 2 Gig card, I really can't figure out what's wrong....

The current project that has caused most of these issues is pretty huge, as I've been working on iterations of it for nearly a year. The project file alone runs to 77 MB, and I'm working off nearly 2TB of files on the media drive (though much less actually used int he sequences).

But is this enough to cause these constant headaches?

- Ben

====================
iMac
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 (quad core)
16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]