FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynasty soap opera style video intro effect in final cut pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Jacobs
Dynasty soap opera style video intro effect in final cut pro
on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:56:11 pm

Hi guys.

I'm looking to re-create the intro to the 1980's soap opera "Dynasty". It has a very distinctive look to it and I am trying to replicate the famous black bars which appear on the screen. There are two types, one which appears and then fans out (as per the very start of the video) and theres the simple bars appearing from the bottom (for the cast members). I've tried to study how they were done, but I'm a bit stuck. Any creative help is appreciated in how I would go about making this effect in FCP 7. Any tips or advice (or workarounds) about how to make this would be super.

Here is the original source:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dynasty soap opera style video intro effect in final cut pro
on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:57:08 pm

How I would tackle this is to build the initial matted bars in photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, and just save them out at a higher resolution/size than your final screen dimensions. This can be black and white or black and alpha channel, or black and green screen green color, it hardly matters, because it winds up the same way: as a keyed element in your stack of images. Then you play with the blending mode of the key to reveal the incoming video, animating it using a move in Apple Motion.

Yes, you could build the whole effect in Motion, and keyframe it's reveal action, but I think doing a key with an animated crop of the matte still image is less work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]