FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting .DIF (DV-DIT) video files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Waldock
Converting .DIF (DV-DIT) video files
on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:10:35 pm

Hi there, I have an edit coming up I need to prepare for, and I am apparently being given some video files in the .dif file format. After looking into it a little, it seems that these are DVPRO or DV file formats. All I have been told is that the files are DV-DIT, and they are .dif.

I was hoping someone could give a programme that will convert these files - will MPEG Streamclip, Adobe Media Encoder, or Toast deal with the files? Or do I need a specific programme?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting .DIF (DV-DIT) video files
on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:51:05 pm

I googled and found this:

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000173.shtml

"Interface format for DV, the Digital Video family of related video encodings (DV, DVCAM, and DVCPRO). A frame of data in the DV format stream is divided into several DIF sequences, each of which is composed of an integral number of 80-byte DIF blocks. DIF blocks are the basic units of DV streams, and each block contains a 3-byte ID header that specifies the block type and its position in the DIF sequence. There are five types of DIF blocks: DIF sequence header, Subcode, Video Auxiliary information (VAUX), Audio, and Video. DV-DIF blocks can be stored as files in raw form (.dv or .dif extension) or wrapped in such file formats as AVI, QuickTime, and MXF."

Everything I read about it says that Quicktime can open these files, as can...of all things...Microsoft Word and Excel

http://extension.nirsoft.net/dif

Every solution points to a Windows way to open. I wonder if the Mac version of QT or Word and excel can. Of those options, only QT will allow you to coonert that to something FCP can use.

Have you tried MPEG STREAMCLIP or Compressor?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Converting .DIF (DV-DIT) video files
on Aug 30, 2013 at 2:55:07 pm

Try changing the extension by ".dv".
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved