FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro 3 1080 best results in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ball
GoPro 3 1080 best results in FCP
on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:30:54 am

Hi guys,

I've had a good look through several forums and find rough answers which end up being not exactly what I need. I hope you can help.

This should be short and sweet for somebody in the know. I'm working with GoPro Hero 3 footage and shooting in these settings:

1920x1080
PAL
25p
Fixed WB
Protune

So, my first step after dumping this footage from the GoPro was to run it through the GoPro Cineform software which has a simple 'Protune' preset which I applied and tweaked a little. This results in a file that is about 3.5 times bigger than the original GoPro footage.

My next step is to take it into FCP 7 (import) and from there cut it up and export it. How do I retain the best quality video here? Have I don't the right steps initially to get the best out of this footage before FCP and what export steps are next to keep this in THE HIGHEST quality I can. I'm happy to spend hours rendering or upscaling or whatever I need to do to get the best out of this footage.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best,

Nick

PS
The Protune function still gives softer images than non-protune, any tips for getting this footage sharper without looking overdone?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: GoPro 3 1080 best results in FCP
on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:13:39 am

From what I can gather ProTune is still H264 at a higher data rate. Before editing in FCP this footage has to be converted to an editing codec that FCP understands like ProRes422.

Software like 5DtoRGB is said to give the sharpest conversion from high bit rate H264 to ProRes. Yes the files will be much bigger but editing H264 in FCP7 is asking for trouble and big cheap hard drives make it a non issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]