FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Setting Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Santella
System Setting Question
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:01:06 pm

Quick question...

How can I set FCP7 to save the storage location for my media? I want to open a project and have it remember when to store the files. I'm having to manually go into System settings and select the Raid drive and folder every time I open a project.

Where do I change that to remember the Raid folder automatically?
Thanks in advance!

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: System Setting Question
on Aug 24, 2013 at 4:53:28 pm

Once you set it for a project, it always remembers it for that project, unless you trash preferences.

Do you want it to always remember a location, even when you start a new project? Sorry, you need to set a few settings when you start new projects. Now I'm going to be harsh (while trying to remain silly...take this with a grain of salt please) and say GROW UP....that's life. When you start a new project with ANY software you need to adjust a few settings. Are you really that lazy?

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Aug 24, 2013 at 5:17:16 pm

Shane,

I'm not lazy - trust me. Of course on a new project, you have to enter settings. That's not my issue!

It doesn't save the Drive location with the saved project. When I open an existing project, it doesn't save that. FCP just retains the drive location from the current project, not the existing project. I can't find where to change that to remember the drive.

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:28:29 pm

Fcp preferences, including capture scratch, are NOT project based, they are system based.

If you need different capture scratch and render locations for each project then you have to remember to re-set them manually.

Nick

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Aug 24, 2013 at 9:23:08 pm

Am I the only one who uses separate folders on my RAID for each project? I find it easier to keep all the project media files (Footage, Graphics, AE Renders, etc) for each project in one discrete folder. Much easier to archive the entire folder after for each project. I sometimes have 10-15 projects going at one time.

Am I missing something? Or is there a better way to organize?

Thanks!

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 24, 2013 at 11:04:09 pm

that's a great way to organise!

i do the same thing, but lucky for me i'm not working on so many projects at the one time.
still, render files do tend to wind up in the wrong place.

If you really are on one raid, you could live with the renders all going to one place.

There might be a 3rd party tool that can help. I (vaguely) remember one that forced you to re-set scratch disks every time you opened a project.
Don't remember the details, sorry. Might have been edit mule who no longer operate.

Nivk

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:56:26 am

If this is your workflow,

you have to set your settings manually before you start with a new project, or change the settings manually to continue an existing project.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]