FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert large HD file to under 2 GB

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Convert large HD file to under 2 GB
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:37:42 am

I have an 18 minute short that I want to submit online to a festival that requires the video to be under 2 GB. Right now, it's 18 GB, 1920x1080 prores 422. I've tried different ways to get it under 2 GB, but I can't seem to do it. I'd like it to be 1280x720 and look really good. How can I do this is mpeg streamclip?

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
Re: Convert large HD file to under 2 GB
on Aug 23, 2013 at 9:05:05 am

Set the video codec to H.264, change the data rate to 2500 and you can keep it at 1280x720.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:38:58 pm

Spencers suggestion is a good one. In MPEG streamclip there are some presets for Apple TV which are H264 MP4. Never had an issue with quality or PC/Mac compatibility.
There is a 720 preset and I have always found these to be good quality conversions at a reasonable bit rate. Basically its pretty much the same quality as you would get from a movie downloaded from iTunes.
Hope thats helpful.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Aug 23, 2013 at 5:44:35 pm

If you are using compressor or something like that, be sure to pay attention to the key frame setting in the H264 conversion.

If you have a lot of fades or composites or effects or the like. Or rapid camera movements. Or a few other things....then you will want to do a keyframe every few frames. Otherwise you can get weird compression artifacts.

It's basically a keyframe every X number of frames. Lower that number is higher quality, bigger file size. So just play with it until you like the output and file size.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Aug 24, 2013 at 12:01:53 am

Thanks guys.
I played around with the bit rate settings in MPEG streamclip and got the video under 2GB with the bit rate set at 6,000 kbps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]