FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS capture issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
VHS capture issue
on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:29:37 pm

I kept notes on how I got this to work 2 years ago and the notes must be wrong. Capturing VHS signal into my Sony HDR-FX1 camera in the correct sequence. Boot up MBP and go into FCP and then to capture window. I see the video when i push play on VCR and I click on capture now. The capture window pops up and skips through 3 seconds of video and then an error message pops up stating FCP has dropped frames, then the capture window closes. I have the camera set to DV and video plays fine in view finder, i have non-controllable device clicked for timecode issues. Any ideas. Further, I would really like to save this in prores 422 so I can keep going in my project without massive rendering headaches. What am I missing? Sadly, I have done this before with this exact equipment. No changes. i am missing an ingredient here though.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: VHS capture issue
on Aug 22, 2013 at 7:10:17 pm

Depending on which MBP you have, you may not be able to capture to ProRes. The drive you are capturing to also makes a difference.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 22, 2013 at 10:03:52 pm

Capture to the camcorder's internal tape first, then use it as an uncontrolled deck?

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Aug 27, 2013 at 7:57:18 pm

Figured it out. I was looking at the wrong end of the problem. I had it configured the same way I did a few years ago when it worked for me. It was a faulty 800 firewire cable running to my external drive. I think my MBP didn't know where to send it so it wouldn't even start. I had just used that cable a week ago with no issue. Sometimes you just have to flip over every rock. Because of this maddening problem, I have started drinking. Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]