FORUMS: list search recent posts

Don't use that transition, use this one...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Simmons
Don't use that transition, use this one...
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:35:40 pm

Ok, so I'm editing an instructional video and I'm looking for ways to change it up.

I need to use transitions to show passage of time, avoid jump cuts, and alternate techniques.
A clock wipe, edge wipe, and flip are only good so many times before they become cheesy, overused and just plain boring.

What are some alternatives you've found to these old standbys the will accomplish the same purpose?(showing passage of time, alternate methods, etc.)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Don't use that transition, use this one...
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:26:14 pm

A dissolve is the most classic transition to show passage of time. Simple, never goes out of style.

That said, you can add some "zazz" with tropes such as dissolving to actual clocks, time-lapse clocks, calendars, trees changing foliage in seasons,shadows creeping across a scene, etc. You could also go with title cards like the silent movies that say "3 hours later" or "3:22PM (location)". You could use a fast-forward tape shuttle effect. it could be something simple as starting with a full glass of water and cutting back to close-ups of it to see it lower each time. On one of m,y favorite shows, "Burn Notice", they like to rack-shuttle aerials of Miami locations between scenes; it is part of their overall "look" or visual language.. I consider all of these cheese, to some extent, but they all have their place.

I think what you choose has to be based on the overall emotional tone you've set up, and the beats you've set up, the pacing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:38:59 pm

How about something like this?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:34:31 pm

I adore the batik-style painted b.g.'s in Spongebob.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Aug 21, 2013 at 9:32:17 pm

I like Nattress big bag of tricks Glow dissolves with a small woosh sound effect. As long as it's not used too often.

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:19:42 am

Does the subject of your instructional video have some sort of logo?

You could fly (or zoom/wipe/any motion) the logo across the screen as a transition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]