FORUMS: list search recent posts

new(?) XDCAM twist on unsupported media msg

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
new(?) XDCAM twist on unsupported media msg
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:44:15 pm

It's been a while since I installed Sony (XDCAM) software, hence can't remember the past particulars. However I've been given footage from a new Sony PMW-F5 Cine Alta 4K. The directory looks different to me, in the topmost XDROOT there are these files and folders.

Clip
CUEUP.XML
DISCMETA.XML
Edit
General
MEDIAPRO.XML
Sub
Take
Thmbnl
UserData

I've been able to screen and convert the footage with the XDCAM Transfer utility after having installed XDCAM Drive Software (VFAM) followed by a new XDCAM Transfer utility. So partial success, but I have two questions…

Does XDCAM Transfer only convert to XDCAM flavor Quicktimes? (not ProRes?)

And if I wanted to work with the footage within FCP7 (which still doesn't work) is there additional software I have to install? (Note the msg below* related to the red error icon in the component confirmation list that you see upon launching XDCAM Transfer indicating FAM is ng or missing)

This did not prevent me working with successfully working with the XDCAM Transfer utility on 2 different Macs with FCP7 - 10.7.4 & 10.6.3 I experimented with targeting different folders in the nested hierarchy but kept getting the "unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure " msg

Thanks,

Paul

*The File Access Mode (FAM) file system driver from Sony is required in order to use an XDCAM device connected via the FireWire (i.LINK) interface. This driver is part of the default XDCAM Transfer installation.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: new(?) XDCAM twist on unsupported media msg
on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:21:48 pm

Ok I see that there is one more thing to install (thought it was part oif the other install) and that is XDCAM EX LOG AND TRANSFER PLUG-IN

I ran the installer bust still get the same FCP error. Is there supposed to be an plugin in in the Library->Pref->Final Cut Pro User Data folder? Because there is nothing there

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Aug 20, 2013 at 10:24:11 pm

In the Quick Start Guide for the plug-in (XDCAM_EX_Log_and_Transfer_Plugin_1_2_0) notice it is dated 2008 and the guide makes reference to the BPAV folder that now longer exists in this new directory

Clip
CUEUP.XML
DISCMETA.XML
Edit
General
MEDIAPRO.XML
Sub
Take
Thmbnl
UserData

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:34:31 am

Unless Sony have updated their software for FCP7 to recognise this new camera then FCP7 which is now two years EOL probably can't deal with it.

You may be able to find a way to convert to some flavour of ProRes using third party software like Scratch http://www.assimilateinc.com/scratch-sony

or Bullet Proof (although I don't see any Sony cameras on their list)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:25:53 am

[Paul Dougherty] "I've been able to screen and convert the footage with the XDCAM Transfer utility after having installed XDCAM Drive Software (VFAM) followed by a new XDCAM Transfer utility. So partial success, but I have two questions…"
If you have been able to get playable ".mov" files that's all you need.

[Paul Dougherty] "Does XDCAM Transfer only convert to XDCAM flavor Quicktimes? (not ProRes?)"
No need for CONVERSION.
The SONY files are not converted, just re-wrapped as QT. Those QT are fully supported by Fc for native editing and RT.
If you were working on a PC the clips would be rewrapped as MXF.

[Paul Dougherty] "Ok I see that there is one more thing to install (thought it was part oif the other install) and that is XDCAM EX LOG AND TRANSFER PLUG-IN"
I work with a SONY EX-1 since 2007, and never heard of a EX L&T Plugin".
XDCAM stuff in FC has never worked through "Log&Transfer", but through "Import > SONY XDCAM".
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:01:36 pm

Rafael, because this is 4K, I suspect it will need to be converted like R3D not just rewrapped.So it may require a Sony plugin for L&T. Legacy will not work with 4K files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]