FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing a Thunderbolt Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hagop Goudsouzian
Choosing a Thunderbolt Drive
on Aug 18, 2013 at 12:11:53 am

I am looking to purchase 2 (maybe 3) 8TB Thunderbolt Drives one to use while traveling then editing in FCP. I shoot in 1080i and have a 128 GB SSD on my camera which I will dl to my drive every few days. (my computer is a MBPr 756 SSD 16 GB ram). It looks like I have two choices either G-Raid or LaCie both 8TB Thunderbolt drives about $800. I hear good things about both as well as some negative. Which one is better for speed, reliability and low noise. Locally several people I spoke with have preferred LaCie and I don't know if it is because LaCie has a Service Centre within ten miles. The reason I write, I have not seen any reviews that compare 8TB Drives. Thank you,

Hagop

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Choosing a Thunderbolt Drive
on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:33:22 pm

I recommend LaCie or Promise. In our array and raid systems forum we have a lot of trouble with G-tech products.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:43:46 am

Thanks. Hagop

Return to posts index

Barry Cohen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:45:24 am

I prefer G-Raid drives. every LaCie drive I bought had a burned out power supply in less than one year.

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:28:11 am

Are you referring to recent issues or a few years back (single pin or 5 pin plug power supplies)? Because, I did have the same problem with the old LaCie drives were the 5 pin plug power supplies, but the drives were never damaged and they replaced the power supplies. Now G-Raid as well as LaCie use the single pin power supplies. I have several LaCie as well as G-Raid, all now single pin plugs. As odd as it may seem a G-Raid single pin power supply died about 4 weeks ago and was replaced. The Thunderbolt drives are a single pin and it seems the LaCie 8TB 2big offers more raid options and replaceable drives, plus they throw in a Thunderbolt cable (G-raid does not.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]