FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will this setting export QT as progressive or interlaced?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Gaskin
Will this setting export QT as progressive or interlaced?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 2:41:08 pm

Hi All,

Delivering a project today and desperately hope that someone here can please help to clarify.

Project will eventually be used for online/web purposes. Client has asked for an uncompressed QT that is "de-interlaced or non-interlaced" (I'm reading this as Progressive) file. My current FCP sequence is ProRes 422 1920x1080 (aspect ratio HDTV 1080i 16:9-native to the footage that was provided), 24fps. When I look a the Field Dominance in Browser it reads "none"

1. If I just export a QT using current settings will the footage be "non-intelaced" to meet client's spec?
2. Since I also have to give them a resized 1280x720 uncompress version (and I think I have to use "Quicktime conversion" to achieve this, will it be "non-interlaced" as well or do I need to check "de-interlace" box.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

SG

Steve Gaskin

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Will this setting export QT as progressive or interlaced?
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:12:18 pm

[Steve Gaskin] "Client has asked for an uncompressed QT"

Ask them if they want an 8-bit or 10-bit uncompressed file (Broadcast). If they are not sure, they don't know what they want. ProRes replaced the need for 8 or 10 bit uncompressed.

[Steve Gaskin] "Project will eventually be used for online/web purposes"
h.264 (compressed) is a file for the web.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Steve Gaskin
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:33:42 pm

Thanks for your response Steve. Getting clarification now from client (hopefully).

I just did a quick test exporting it as uncompressed 10 bit (4:2:2) QT and clicked "Deinterlace Source Video" and it looks good, but is this necessary in order to ensure that the output is indeed de-interlaced?

Thanks for your time and insight,

Steve

Steve Gaskin

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:44:55 pm

If they so called need it to be interlaced, this is what you want.
An uncompressed 10-bit file is going to be very big. Way to big for the web.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Steve Gaskin
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:51:52 pm

Thanks Steve.

Since I'm giving them FLV and MP4 as well, my understanding is that this uncompressed file is for them to use as the master to compress however else they need for the web.

So, am I safe to think that ProResHQ is comparable in quality to the uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2? I also noticed when I changed the settings in QT Conversion that I could only get the Quality setting to MEDIUM and not to BEST. Is there any way to change this? If I don't hear back from them, I'll just give them both versions and let them choose and move on...

Thanks again for all of your help-I really appreciate it!

Steve

Steve Gaskin

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:55:53 pm

I'd them a ProRes 422 file, assuming they can play it. You can't magically make the footage better by giving them uncompressed or ProResHQ. But you can make your file 10x bigger than it needs to be.

Return to posts index

Steve Gaskin
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:59:14 pm

Brett,

Thanks for your input. I think I'll just give them both versions and let them decide...

SG

Steve Gaskin

Return to posts index

dick avery
on Aug 17, 2013 at 9:09:01 am

if fields set to none and you export footage using currect settings, yes it will be progressive. you can export footage and use media info to be sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]