FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 PLEASE ASSIST ME Stuttering/Jittering HD (Not SD) Video BUT Raw File Much Cleaner

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sussman
FCP 7 PLEASE ASSIST ME Stuttering/Jittering HD (Not SD) Video BUT Raw File Much Cleaner
on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:34:49 pm

I have searched high and low and can't find an answer to this specific problem - though I have seen many similar, this one is a little different. What I have:

MacBook Pro 10.6.8
3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
FCP 7 7.0.1
Raw video and projects on a 6GB G Raid
External monitor - LG model E2350V connected from display port to DVI - monitor locks in options with this connection 1920x1080 60Hz

I keep the desktop view on the mac and FCP on the external monitor. I have been editing SD DVCPro for years on it with no issue. Moving to HD. Plan to get JVC GY HM750. Shot an SD card with a friend's HM700 to test w/ my stuff. Shot at 720 60i. Moved files to G Raid. In FCP the video stutters/jitters intermittently especially bad on fast camera moves. Can happen in viewer or timeline. The timeline is same as source with no render needed. Sometimes the look is similar to a tape stretch - horizontal banding would be my best description. The raw files opened in qt (outside of FCP) look pretty clean with only occasional intermittent stutter - much better than in FCP where there is little or no relief. Swapped external monitor with another and problem is there as well. I shot with another camera - Panasonic P2 in all kinds of formats and had similar bur not as severe problems. This seems like a viewing problem as it isn't an export issue. Does anyone have a similar set up but without my problem? Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 PLEASE ASSIST ME Stuttering/Jittering HD (Not SD) Video BUT Raw File Much Cleaner
on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:58:27 pm

Did you convert this footage to ProRes before working with it? What codec is it?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Sussman
Re: FCP 7 PLEASE ASSIST ME Stuttering/Jittering HD (Not SD) Video BUT Raw File Much Cleaner
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:15:10 pm

The JVC shoots natively for FCP and Premiere specifically. However, since you are kind enough to help me I went ahead and converted a clip to ProRes 422 LT, dropped it in a timeline that was same as source to make sure that wasn't this issue. It appears not to be as the problem persists.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:32:29 pm

OK, so the camera shoots directly to HDV then, right? And 720p60...not 720i60. 72o is a progressive format, never interlaced. And the timeline settings match exactly and you see this? Can you post a still of a bad frame?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:30:31 am

Thanks Shane. I can't tell you if it's HDV or not for sure but the camera is advertised as shooting natively for FCP. It delivers QT .mov files that require no wrap, transcode or transfer. When I put a clip in my DV/NTSC timeline, I allowed the timeline to change settings to fit the clip. The recording rates of the camera are:

HQ mode
1920 x 1080/59.94i (.mov only), 29.97p, 23.98p
1440 x 1080/59.94i, 1280 x 720/59.94p, 29.97p, 23.98p

SP mode
1440 x 1080/59.94i, 1280 x 720/59.94p, 29.97p, 23.98p

So I'm thinking I was shooting 1280x720/59.94p I will shoot the screen tomorrow and post the video link here for your evaluation. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:38:18 pm

Perhaps the codec you shot is too new to FCP7.
It could be that its 1920x1080 60p. FCP has aged a little and doesn't like progressive very much. Avid MC6/7 is much better for this sort of new codec.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:14:01 pm

Thanks Ranier but this camera and FCP7 were out at the same time and one of the main selling points of the camera is that it shoots FCP ready files.

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:03:27 pm

Thanks Ranier but this camera and FCP7 were out at the same time and one of the main selling points of the camera is that it shoots FCP ready files.

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:45:03 pm

Here is a youtube link to show you the problem. More facts - looking at it on the external monitor, the flaw was a bit different than on the Mac screen. I had to shoot the monitor and then do a screen recording of what I shot to properly show the problem.

I roll the same clip repeatedly in an effort to show that the error doesn't happen in the same spot every time. At :33 you can see it at it's worst. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:12:32 pm

Hi David,

you showed us your sequence settings. What are the original camera file settings? You can look at them in the FCP bin.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:27:08 pm

Thanks for your continued help, Ranier. When right clicking the clip in the FCP7 browser under Clip Setting, I got a message "No items have files that are applicable to this operation." Under Item Properties/Format, there is this screen grab hopefully embedded in the post. In case it's too small to read here are things you may be looking for.

(name of clip).MOV
creator/quick time player launcher,
vid rate/59.94fps,
frame size/1280x720,
compressor/xdcam ex 720p60 (35Mb/s VBR),
data rate/4.2 MBsec
field dominance/none

When I locate the original file and drug over from the SD card I shot on, there is this for item properties:

Kind - quicktime movie
size - 227.5MB

dimensions - 1280x720
codecs - MPEG-2 Video, linear PCM, Timecode
color profile - HD (1-1-1)
total bit rate - 35,593

BTW did you see the video and is that something you've seen before? I hope this info helps and I appreciate your assistance.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:07:58 pm

Hi David,

you have to encode the original camera files through XDcam transfer. It's a program from Sony for free. Then you get a mov format for editing. XDcam files are no editing format with FCP. The best conversion programme is episode. Keep the original shot frame format, don't convert it to progressive, because it is shot on 59.94 fps. The jittering may come from the progressive format you used in the timeline. The reason for this is the worse codec I've ever came across - It's called GOP (Sony). When you have transfered the stuff into Mov with XDcam transfer you should then transfer the movs into ProRes422 with mpeg streamclip. Then you can start editing and do proper color correction.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 19, 2013 at 2:47:53 pm

Ranier - I am very appreciative of your assistance and am not arguing but I am confused. JVC says here:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102066&feature...

"The GY-HM750 incorporates JVC's Native File Recording technology that stores video in the ready-to-edit file formats used by Apple's Final Cut Pro™, Adobe Premiere™, and other popular non-linear editing systems. The HD and SD ".mov" files created in the camera can be easily dragged onto Final Cut Pro's or Premiere's timeline or clip bin without conversion or rewrapping, saving time while keeping the recorded material first generation. There is no need to use an intermediate codec."

Yes, this is the 750 literature but the same is true for the 700 series. The 700 says:

Native file recording—world's fastest shoot-to-edit workflow.

"Native .mov file format
Edit immediately on Final Cut Pro™ or Premiere™ without conversion or transcoding"

The guy's camera that we used says he just drops the files in FCP7 and off he goes with no issues.

This coupled with the facts that the export is clean from FCP7 and the original .mov files play perfectly in QT do you still think the rewrap is the answer? Thanks again for your time.

Return to posts index

David Sussman
on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:12:40 pm

I think I figured this out. It seems to have been a graphics card, ram or processor issue. Trying to run the external monitor and the MacBook Pro screen at the same time caused the issue. When I put everything on the external and had the MBP is clamshell mode all was perfect.... until Time Machine kicked in - then it got ugly again. Turned off TM and all was good again. Now, any of these scenarios with SD video were okay but put HD in the mix and it all got crazy. I am scheduled to get more ram in the next couple of weeks and a new, faster internal HD. If problem persists, I think it's time for a new machine. All agree it's worth trying a few hundred bucks before a new machine. Thanks to all - especially Ranier - for brainstorming.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]