FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fcp6 gamma snow leopard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter crawford
Fcp6 gamma snow leopard
on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:06:07 am

Its amazing that there is so much info out there about this but no one actually answers this specific question.

What shojld my system gamma be set to if running fcp6 on snowleopard.

I realise SL is native 2.2 but will fcp still try to over correct this assuming its 1.8?

While Im at it does motion have this same issue?

Please only respond if you know for sure. And please no responses about using broadcast monitors.

Thankyou

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Fcp6 gamma snow leopard
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:39:30 pm

[peter crawford] "I realise SL is native 2.2 but will fcp still try to over correct this assuming its 1.8?"
Exactly.
Although SL has 2,2 gamma, FC keeps doing the 2,2 Gamma correction.
You can set your screen at 1.8 Gamma, so FC canvas should show the proper gamma.
Your finder will look milky and in QTPlayer you should set "FC Color Compatibility".
rafael

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:58:26 pm

Thanks rafael,
appreciate the definitive response.
I thought I resd somewhere that fcp on SL would disregard a custom gamma setting and so therefore always still over correct off the native system gamma??

Do you know if motion studio 2 works the same way in regards to gamma shifting.?

Its alway driven me nuts watching my "mice work" look like crap on a p.c or the web, I think Im going to look at fcp7 or switch to premiere in the near future

Thanks
Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:44:53 pm

[peter crawford] "I thought I resd somewhere that fcp on SL would disregard a custom gamma setting and so therefore always still over correct off the native system gamma??"
Fc always corrected the gamma, and that haven't changed even for FC.7.
FC is agnostic of the system the mac is running, so no way to know if the system sets the monitors at 1,8 or 2,2.

[peter crawford] "Do you know if motion studio 2 works the same way in regards to gamma shifting.?"
As long as I know, Motion doesn't apply gamma correction to the viewer.
rafael

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Aug 14, 2013 at 9:05:38 pm

Thats good to know, I have read numerous claims that fcp7 had changed this and didnt apply the shift but thanks Ill tske your word for it snd save myself the money there.

Just one more question, since Ive used FCP ive pretty much always transcoded to pro res for my work.
Only now where ive been doing some research on this gamma issue have Idiscovered that prores is 2.2.

Im assuming everything ive graded in the past has been wrong,
Can you confirm if im using prores in fcp then i need to enable/disable a gamma setting in the clips info or the sequences compression settings in order for it to display properly.

Thanks

Peter

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2013 at 5:48:16 am

[peter crawford] "Can you confirm if im using prores in fcp then i need to enable/disable a gamma setting in the clips info or the sequences compression settings in order for it to display properly."
Not sure what to tell you. i would make some tets to see if any gamma shift, but I think that if you are using QT.7 (last versions), you shouldn't see no difference.
With FC.6 they were many gamma issues when transcoding and processing, but that do not happens any more with FC.7/QT Last.
Anyway, in this world of gammas and color space, the only thing tht really works as a valid reference is an external, well calibrated, monitor.
rafael

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:33:24 am

But didnt you say earlier that fcp hasnt changed the way its gamma shifts?
Maybe it is best to get fcp 7 running until I can afford a proper external display setup. I have a nice Pana grading monitor but its only going through a display port so I dont think I can trust that much more than the canvas viewer anyway

thanks

paxpincer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:21:53 am

[peter crawford] "But didnt you say earlier that fcp hasnt changed the way its gamma shifts?"
I meant that have been fixed the inconsistency on gamma (shifts), when transcoding certain codecs.
Before, when converting stuff like Animation or h264 to Prores, or prores to H264, quite ofyen used to happens a noticeable gamma shift from the original file to the converted. That do not happens any more.
With stuff like the AVID codecs, the problem remains.
rafael

Return to posts index

peter crawford
on Aug 15, 2013 at 11:51:29 am

Gottya, thanks

paxpincer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]