FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live video-file playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Wood
Live video-file playback
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:10:31 pm

Can anyone recommend a simple system for playback of video/audio files output from FCP for a live theatre event? I would need a modicum of live playback control as live performers timings not fixed. I need to be able to make a 'playlist' of video files (of potentially different aspect ratios and resolutions) and have 'pause' or 'jump to next video controls' and NOT show any controls on the audience screen. To playback from 1 laptop only, no graphics or fancy presentation FX needed.
I just need a cheap, simple system eg.the likes of Playback Pro look great but far too sophisticated for my needs i suspect. Would something like Powerpoint or Keynote suffice? Or can anyone suggest anything appropriate? Thanks!

MacPro 12core; 12GB Ram; 2TB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.8) FCP 7, DVDSP 4
MacBook Pro OSX (10.7.4)

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Live video-file playback
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:27:44 pm

Playback Pro is the only thing out there that will do what you want from your computer. All others are just playback such as QuickTime 7 and Digital Heaven Prop Player.

Look at renting. The AJA KiPro, BlackMagic Hyperdeck and Atomis Ninja/Samurai/Blade will playback ProRes files. KiPro can create sophisticated playlists.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Andy Wood
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:37:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve.
I'm not too sure what you mean by 'all others are just playback' as simple playback is all i thought I needed. I just don't want the QT controls to appear all over the screen any time i go near the machine... Will Digital Heaven Prop Player give me this functionality maybe? (Combined with some kind of hardware vision mixer so i could fade stuff out if necessary?)
Is the other stuff you mention there hardware or software based?
Thanks for the leads!

MacBook Pro OSX (10.7.4)

Return to posts index

Andy Wood
on Aug 26, 2013 at 10:18:16 am

And I just found out that apparently Playback Pro is NOT the only thing out there. I just discovered some software called QLab which looks perfect for my needs. Flexible, in the sense that it can be as simple or as complex as you need. Modular, in the sense that you only have to buy into what you need and not pay for a bunch of stuff that you'll never use. And on top of this an intelligent finance system whereby you can purchase different versions, only buying what you need AND you can rent licenses for pro versions with added functionality on a daily basis ($3 - $7 per day). So if, like me, you'll only be using it for a couple of shows then its a more sensible option. Best of all for me, it looks like the demo version will cost me nothing and do what i need!
No, i'm not a sales person for QLab, just seriously impressed with an intelligently designed bit of software with a reasonable pricing system. Just can't believe that it was so hard to find and hope this info is useful to someone else searching for the above.

MacBook Pro OSX (10.7.4)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]