FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Footage from Old Camcorder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Capturing Footage from Old Camcorder
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:52:40 am

I have an old Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV530 camcorder (from 2001 I think) that I want to capture footage from. Neither my macbook pro nor FCP 7 recongnize the camera (or Windows XP which I have on my mac). Apparently you can't use a USB cable to capture footage from these kinds of cameras, and the firewire cable it came with, which is a IEEE 1394 (which Sony calls i.LINK) can't connect to my computer.

Does anyone know how to capture footage from these types of cameras? Would this cable work? http://www.weconnex.com/6ft-ieee-1394b-firewire-800-9-pin-to-4-pin-black.ht...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Capturing Footage from Old Camcorder
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:01:20 pm

Bobby, from a quick search it seems that the camera does output a digital video signal. If that cable you provided the link for has the proper connections on each end to connect from your camera to your computer then it should work. I would guess that the camera has a 4 pin connection, while your computer should have the 9 pin. Once connected with the proper firewire cable FCP should see the camera for capture.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:26:42 am

[Bobby Hall] "Apparently you can't use a USB cable to capture footage from these kinds of cameras,"
No one tape based camcorder can be captured through USB. Although the interface is fast enough to carry a DV stream, is not stable enough to capture without hipcups.
Look if the camera has an FireWire connexion, if not, get something like a Canopus DV card.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:09:32 am

I was able to connect my camera to my MacBook after buying a Firewire 800 cable that connnects 4-pin to 9-pin. After I captured in FCP, it warned me that the video and audio might be out of sync. How can I fix this?
I read about the Canopus ADVC-110 which supposedly can fix video and audio sync errors, but I'm not sure. Is it worth it to buy the ADVC for $175 over a firewire cable I was able to buy for $15?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:57:06 pm

[Bobby Hall] "it warned me that the video and audio might be out of sync."
I had that many times and never had a problem.
I guess that is because in MiniDV, audio is not locked, so in theory could be drift, but, up to SONY, impossible to notice by the hearing.
Import the clips to FC and export something. Check if there is any audio offset.
If you can use the FW, That's a better solution than the Canopus. This would recompress the picture.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:12:00 pm

After I captured the footage and listened to it in the timeline, the audio is in sync but it's very choppy, constantly cutting in and out very rapidly and I wanted to know if there was a certain setting I should be using. The audio is fine in my camera, only in FCP is it choppy. It's a Hi8 tape. How can I fix the audio in FCP?

And are you saying Firewire is better than Canopus because Canopus recompresses the picture and Firewire doesn't?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:34:02 am

[Bobby Hall] "After I captured the footage and listened to it in the timeline, the audio is in sync but it's very choppy, constantly cutting in and out very rapidly and I wanted to know if there was a certain setting I should be using. The audio is fine in my camera, only in FCP is it choppy. It's a Hi8 tape. How can I fix the audio in FCP?"
There are many reasons why audio or video can be choppy on FC, but what really matters is how is out of FC.
Export a piece of your footage and see how it sounds on QTPlayer and VLC.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:34:54 am

The audio is very choppy in QT and VLC. I changed the audio/video setting I was using to 32k since the footage was recorded with 12 bit audio, but I'm getting the same choppy audio. Previously, I was getting the warning that the audio sample of my captured video was different from the source audio because the capture setting was set to 48k for audio, and after I changed it to 32k I didn't get the warning anymore, but the audio sounds the same, very choppy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]