FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best iMovie Export Settings for Client to provide PreCut footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Boice
Best iMovie Export Settings for Client to provide PreCut footage
on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:09:24 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to be using Final Cut Pro X (yes, all iMovie Pro jokes aside, I decided to try it out for its 64-bit capabilities), to edit a project for a client. They were interested in "Pre-Cutting" the footage so they could save time and money. However, they'll be using iMovie to do this. Having never used iMovie, I was wondering (and assuming) that there's a way to do this.

What's the best export settings for this purpose? I'm assuming it can output 1080p 24pfs footage at quality levels appropriate for this? I'm hoping it doesn't have to be Uncompressed since that would probably be ridiculously huge

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best iMovie Export Settings for Client to provide PreCut footage
on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:18:18 pm

[Jared Boice] " They were interested in "Pre-Cutting" the footage so they could save time and money. However, they'll be using iMovie to do this. Having never used iMovie, I was wondering (and assuming) that there's a way to do this."

Due to the severe limitation on video codecs in iMovie, the answer is probably "no".

The client would sacrifice a LOT of image quality to save time and money on that end, and then you would invest additional time (and money) on your end to deal with it. And the result wouldn't look very good. It doesn't sound like really great savings to me.

But since FCPX is so cheap -- and it works a lot like iMovie -- why doesn't the client just use it instead? Everyone would be happier in the long run... perhaps. You'd want to inquire about a good workflow in the FCPX Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:53:53 pm

Make all the footage Apple Intermediate Codec...iMovie supports that. But yes, there is a quality hit with that format. iMovie projects import directly and smoothly into FCX...but iMovie lacks professional grade codecs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 10, 2013 at 3:12:08 am

I have no experience with iMovie but I thought I read recently that it supports Prores LT, 422 and HQ. I could very well be mistaken though.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 10, 2013 at 4:07:19 am

But if you convert to the AIC you recompress a lot your stuff and you will get 32Kbps audio.

I guess you can cut in iMovie without converting to the AIC and then open the project with FCPX and the original footage.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:01:02 am

A lot of people made fun of "Open iMovie Project" in FCPX, but this is exactly why it's there. If you use that feature in X you can open it and have it automatically link to the source media.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]